Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Autotether - Product Reviews

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got mine today!

First impressions:

Looks well made and the directions are well written and easy to understand. Definitely love the fact came with batteries installed and all the correct size screw driver needed to replace them. Installation is a breeze simply pull the backing off the adhesive patches already in place and stick near the tether connection on your boat. The transmitter comes pre-programed and ready to go. The belt clip does look flimsy but no worse than my cell phone or pager.

I will have videos of the testing early next week.

I used mine yesterday and it all went well. Very easy installation. I was a little confused by the blinking lights?I looked them up in the manual and It was ok. It does work though. I did not fall over? but twice while launching and retrieving my boat, Parking truck I was wearing the mobil tether. I found the unit had gone off when I apparently got to far from the boat? No problem,It works. I now feel a little better about being alone on a moving boat.

Can't get any simpler. Mount your receiver, don your FOB. Press the button, get the fob wet, or get about 50 feet feet away and your kill switch engages. With authority I will add. Confused about the lights? Read the dang receiver. Looks pretty good too. Here is a sample video:

034.jpg

033.jpg

Please fix the FOB, add a belt LOOP, not clip. OR combo setup. Thanks!

I got my Autotether as part of teh group buy. Great pirce and even better service. I spoke to them a couple times before and aftter I bought it and was very happy with their customer care.

Installation was rediculous. Actually there was no installtion at all. It took longer to read the instructions that to put the thing in. It took me 5 minutes to decide where to mount the main box and that was it. They sent me clips for all of the types of switches out there since I have Hondas but the kill swith is a Mercury style.

After turning it on I walked all arund the baot with it in my pocket to make sure there was nothing that would kill the signal, then put the transponder in a baggie and dunked it over board right next to the boat. It fired off immediatly, just the way it should. Of course later I forgot to take the transponder off my belt and went to the car. Sure enough One of the guys at the dock came up and got me to tell me some sort of alarm was going off on the boat. He had never heard of Autoteher and now has one on his wish list.

GREAT PRODUCT, GREAT SERVICE AND GREAT DEAL THANKS TO REEL BOATING!

THANKS Wiley!!!!

Technical question:

Do all of these units operate on the same frequency, or is it more like garage door openers with a huge range of freqs?

What I'm picturing is if a bunch of people in the same area have Autotethers, will THEIR units activate if YOU are the one in trouble/out of range ?? :504_shrugging:

I have to agree with Ludicrous about the belt loop aspect; belt clips on cellphones, Leatherman tools, etc. always seem to fail me at the worst possible time. I guess my "love handles" tend to push clips off my belts.

Mine came with a belt clip and a small velcro strap. The strap slides through the slots on the side of the transponder and I used that to go around my belt. It held it fine, ran paralell with my belt so I never even felt it on there as I moved around all day. I guess a clip on belt loop would be OK but in my opinion the velcro is easier since you don't have to take your belt off to put it on and off. Just makes it that much easier to use. I wonder how much wear and tear the clip can take as the plastic is fairly thin. Might become loose over time or break.

I rarely go alone, but I'm planing another use for the autotether... I'm starting to realize that my almost 3 YO daughter feels more comfortable on the boat as she get older.

We tried, and succeeded, to teach her since she was a baby, that theres nothing to fear when on the boat if she follows the rules. She does follow them (for now) but I'm sure that she is not mature enough to know why she is following them which can lead lead to temptation to do something stupid and dangerous.

Well.. now she is completely FEARLESS of the boat, which in some way is good but in other way makes me uncomfortable.

My worst nightmare is to be driving the boat, and my daughter (or other of our guest's kid) going overboard without anybody realizing of it...

I know it's stupid, but I would not forgive myself if it ever happens!!!

I'm planing to attach one of the remotes to their pfd, just in case.....

Check out the screamer, from Autotether. It's a sensor for occupants aboard the boat (even pet) and it makes an audible alarm sound if anyone falls in the water, or strays 100ft from the boat. Sounds like a great system, and possibly may even integrate into the origional Autotether system! :605_thumbs_up:

David

Hey guys,

Ralph and I must be NBIs. (natural born idiots)

Followed the book and can get the unit so that both lights are steady green. You can walk away, nothing happens, press the FOB button for 2 seconds, nothing happens.

Went through the initialization process a few times, it seems to be paired up properly (the step where you wait for 2 minutes.)

Any ideas?

Hey guys,

Ralph and I must be NBIs. (natural born idiots)

Followed the book and can get the unit so that both lights are steady green. You can walk away, nothing happens, press the FOB button for 2 seconds, nothing happens.

Went through the initialization process a few times, it seems to be paired up properly (the step where you wait for 2 minutes.)

Any ideas?

Ludicrous Technical Support, Inc. here, try this and call me in the morning.

a.Try pressing the FOB for 2.5 or 3 seconds.

b.When walking away from the receiver, take the FOB with you.