Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Autotether - Product Reviews

When Autotether wanted real-world reviews of their products they trusted ReelBoating to put them to the test.

I was able to get their very clever safety product into the hands (and boats) of a few ReelBoating Members to test.

This thread will contain the opinions and results of their review, along with the opinions of others regarding their product.

auto-tether.gif

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Like everyone else, I've known I should of had one all along, but I never really look forward to wiring in and installing a new electronic device. I was seriously wrong about this one. The thing has its own batteries and installation consists of of using double sided tape to stick the module near the key switch.

I wondered how they integrated it into the wiring system. They don't. It comes with a little lanyard end that replaces the one on the existing kill switch - the one we all leave hanging there and never attach to anything. The new lanyard has a little electric plunger in it, so if it needs to kill the engine, it simply pushes the plunger and the clip comes out of the kill switch. Sweet and simple! I like it!

I think its an excelent product, especially for anyone that goes out on the water alone on a regular basis.

Chris: We all read about the guy who fell overboard last week and damn near died. He wound up in the hospital and the boat wound up on the beach. I'll bet he buys one before he goes out alone - and we all do - but we're really careful, aren't we......

I bought Sospenders for my solo trips, but both me and the folks at home like the AutoTether.

I rarely go alone, but I'm planing another use for the autotether... I'm starting to realize that my almost 3 YO daughter feels more comfortable on the boat as she get older.

We tried, and succeeded, to teach her since she was a baby, that theres nothing to fear when on the boat if she follows the rules. She does follow them (for now) but I'm sure that she is not mature enough to know why she is following them which can lead lead to temptation to do something stupid and dangerous.

Well.. now she is completely FEARLESS of the boat, which in some way is good but in other way makes me uncomfortable.

My worst nightmare is to be driving the boat, and my daughter (or other of our guest's kid) going overboard without anybody realizing of it...

I know it's stupid, but I would not forgive myself if it ever happens!!!

I'm planing to attach one of the remotes to their pfd, just in case.....

I'll test the Autotether this weekend. Only one complaint right out of the box. The FOB needs a better belt fastner. My knife, cell phone, fishing pliers all have a loop (for my belt to pass through) instead of a clip. Belt clips never work, whatever it is WILL fall off and into the drink. I could put the FOB on my pfd with the velcro attachment strap but I would prefer it to be on my belt. Why not build the FOB with a built in belt loop??

autotether6.jpg

002-2.jpg

autotether5.jpg

I installed mine already. It came ready to install with the batteries inplace! Very simple and easy! It worked on a test, I just hope it never has to go off for real.

I like the clip that comes with it because I am usually the one who gets off at the dock to go get the truck, so my wife will be wearing the FOB. I have not seen to many bikinis with belts.

Thanks

I installed mine already. It came ready to install with the batteries inplace! Very simple and easy! It worked on a test, I just hope it never has to go off for real.

I like the clip that comes with it because I am usually the one who gets off at the dock to go get the truck, so my wife will be wearing the FOB. I have not seen to many bikinis with belts.

Thanks

Ok, how about a clip and belt loop, best of both worlds.