Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Curious - How Many Have Done A Boating Course?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did that class here in CT last year also.......and was COMPLETELY appalled at how worthless the class was. They played some state-mandated video, most of which was completely not applicable. No discussion about important safety things that people can do like DSC VHf radios, EPIRBs, the benefit of getting a SEA-tow service, the impact of wake, and how to be a good citizen, etc. It was all teaching in order to pass the lame, dated 100 Q test. It truly scared me to see how clueless most of the people were that were getting their licenses. I'd spent maybe 30 days on the water before i too the class, and i could have done a better job teaching the students what they needed to learn...this is not to trash the instructor, its just it was so focused on the dated, set curriculum.

The ONLY useful thing the guy emphasized was that "PWCs DONT TURN UNLESS THE THROTTLE IS ON....." which was good, because there were a bunch of completely clueless students that said they were getting the license to ride the PWC they had already bought....and many of them seemed suprised by that no-throttle no turn issue. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

1000% agree. The boating licensing in CT has done nothing loud- NOTHING!! to change what happens on the water. the course you have to take is one day long and worthless. There has been NO change in the amount of deaths or collisions.

All it does is create another useless cottage industry.

BTW, i have done the CT course, power squadron and at one point had to pass a navigation certification to be the Navigator on a few overnight races. The only one worth anything was the navigation course and then only a little.

You have to be out there to really know how this works people

I took the Coast Guard Aux course; 7 week, 3 hrs a week and scored a 96%. One of the bouys messed me up. It was a good course taught by some dedicated guys. Some of the people attending were just "clueless". One guy thought if he was anchored in the channel fishing, the oil tanker had to go around him.