Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Curious - How Many Have Done A Boating Course?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wondering how many of us have completed a formal boating course, and which ones?

We have all (5 of us) done the 1 day USCGA course, and I have toyed with doing their navigation course ready for retirement in the islands. Just don't have the time or energy right now.

I took a formal course (I think it was 40hrs.)back in 1981 to obtain a USCG "six pack" license to charter my boat.Houston Marine Services administered the course and the USCG gave the test.I kept the license for 15 yrs.and decided I had enough of charters and let it go.Just last summer had to take an 8hr. boater safety course required by the State of New Jersey.I believe this was bought on by an incident where a fellow(B.F.)plowed is 40 something Viking through a fleet of fishing boats a couple miles off LBI N.J. killing 2 or 3 elderly fishermen.Most of us felt the boat was on auto pilot with no one at the helm.

I have taken most USCG Aux and USPS courses and have taken USCG Master course at Chapman's in Stuart FL. Have taught the boating Safety course. I feel I always pick up a couple of pointers to keep my boating skills up to date. It is a good idea to keep your skills up before you get into trouble. Training training training makes a better boat driver

In CT a boating safety course is a requirement for all boats and PWC's.

My whole family took the course at the same time. My daughter passed the test on her 12th birthday.

I did that class here in CT last year also.......and was COMPLETELY appalled at how worthless the class was. They played some state-mandated video, most of which was completely not applicable. No discussion about important safety things that people can do like DSC VHf radios, EPIRBs, the benefit of getting a SEA-tow service, the impact of wake, and how to be a good citizen, etc. It was all teaching in order to pass the lame, dated 100 Q test. It truly scared me to see how clueless most of the people were that were getting their licenses. I'd spent maybe 30 days on the water before i too the class, and i could have done a better job teaching the students what they needed to learn...this is not to trash the instructor, its just it was so focused on the dated, set curriculum.

The ONLY usefull thing the guy emphasized was that "PWCs DONT TURN UNLESS THE THROTTLE IS ON....." which was good, because there were a bunch of completely clueless students that said they were getting the license to ride the PWC they had already bought....and many of them seemed suprised by that no-throttle no turn issue. :753_hammer_hitting_head:

We need to do one in CT to get a permit. I was grandfathered but threw out the paperwork and had to go back to school. Not such a bad thing-there is always something to explore.

I was fortunate to work in NYC. They Hayden Planetarium offers some amazing courses.

I took piloting I & II and Celestial I. Real fun with a sextant in the planetarium and big boat captain as an instructor.

I was a big sailor and all these courses were more than useful. What amazes me is how much I forget if I lay off.

My 2 cents is that operators should re-qualify every 5 years.