Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Looking to get a buffer to wax my boat. Need your help!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to my bank today and struck up a conversation with the bank manager about waxing boats. I told him that I had been researching and decided to get the Makita 9227 circular buffer. He replies " Don't do it! You will mess up the finish! You will leave swirl marks that will not come out"

Here we go again. I am still a little reluctant about the Makita but I will just take it careful.

I went to my Boaters World to find out that they are going out of business. They were offering 10-30% off. I went to the wax section only to see that all the Woody Wax was gone. Crap! I called the only other boating store in town, West Marine, the stock only one of the Woody Wax products and its not the Ultra shine wax. Time to order on line.

Cabana Dan

Like I said before Dan there are going to be different opinions about every option you pick. You will be happy with the 9227. Your banker was probably doing it wrong (bearing down on it) and it came out badly. Operator error, not machinery error.

I agree. Gelcoat is a helluva lot harder than the clear coat on a car. Just keep the buffer moving and you'll be fine.

• 14 years later...

When it comes to dealing with the slight oxidation on the gel coat, using a buffer/polisher is a wise choice.

The Porter Cable 7424 is a popular and more budget-friendly option, known for being user-friendly. It's good for general polishing and waxing, and with the right combination of pads and compounds, you can achieve a decent result. If you're dealing with light oxidation, it should serve you well.

On the other hand, the Flex 3401 is a step up in terms of power and capability. It's more versatile and can handle more serious paint correction tasks. If you're planning to tackle deeper oxidation or want a tool that can handle a wider range of detailing jobs, the Flex might be worth the investment.

Since your oxidation issue is slight, starting with the Porter Cable and experimenting with different pads and compounds is a reasonable approach. If you find it's not quite achieving the desired results, you can always reassess and consider upgrading to a more powerful machine like the Flex.

Remember to test any products or techniques in a small, inconspicuous area first and go from there. It's all about finding the right balance for your boat's specific needs. Best of luck, and I hope your Bluewater shines like new when you're done! If you have more questions or want to share your progress, feel free to reach out.

• 3 weeks later...