Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Looking to get a buffer to wax my boat. Need your help!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How to apply?

It is applied in the same manner as you would any other polishing compound.

Take a damp towel and apply the compound to the fiberglass surface just as you would a cleaner wax. Before the compound has the chance to completely dry, buff it out with the wool pad and cut the haze off the surface. With practice, you can clean and prepare the fiberglass surface in one application. Once you are happy with the results, you are ready for the wax topcoat(s).

If after one application the surface is still hazy, apply another coat until you get the clean surface that you are looking for.

DSCN0017.JPG

How much Woody Wax Ultra would you normally use on your boat? I see that it is available in 16 an 32 oz. sizes.

Cabana Dan

I used a 16 oz. bottle for just the topsides of my boat (38'). I'd get the 32 oz. bottle for hull and topsides. Don't be too sparing with it.

btw, I concur with Megabytes application suggestions.

They sell it at Boater's World if you have one where you are.

Should I have any concerns with the abrasives of the Woody Wax Ultra if my hull has only very light oxidation? My concern is that I will start buffing and watch the gel coat finish look worse than better.

If you have light oxidation and think the Woodys might be too much, try something milder like 3M Finess-It.

If you have light oxidation and think the Woodys might be too much, try something milder like 3M Finess-It.

I wouldn't worry about harming the surface. Gelcoat is incredibly hard stuff. The bigger danger is that you'll wear yourself out applying a too weak compound and it still won't look good. Been there done that. :rolleyes:

You might want to check out Aqua buff products. I use Aqua buff 2000 once a year on my 2004 23' Proline. I use a Makita with a wool pad, then apply Fleet wax. I found it easier to remove the Fleetwax with my 10" orbital. I then wax again mid year. For what it's worth, I never used the buffer before I did my boat. I was a little intimidated at first but quickly got the hang of it. Nick