Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Looking to get a buffer to wax my boat. Need your help!!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Megabyte,

I am looking to possibly buy the 9227 from Autogeek.com They offer a bundled package. Have you ever used the pads shown on the link before on the 9227?

http://www.autogeek.net/makita-9227c-pad-kit.html

I've used the wool pads and the polishing pads, but I've never used the foam pads on fiberglass. I believe those (foam pads) are used on painted automotive surfaces. Paint is much softer than gelcoat and the wool might be too aggressive on those surfaces if not used carefully.

That is probably where the reputation for burning the surface comes from.

Reel boobs,

from what I am reading the Porter Cable does not have enough cutting power to effectively compound your boat. I have gone back and forth from the Porter Cable to the Flex 3401 to the Makita 9227 and back. It looks like I will go for the Makita and take my time to learn it.

I hope to hear from others on this topic.

Cabana Dan

I did the same thing back when I was looking for one. I looked into all the different models till I was blue in the face. I finally got the 9227 package and it has been great. very good machine and you can set it how you want. Everyone is going to have a different opinion but it was really down to the Porter cable and 9227 since that was what the majority of the folks were recommending. I decided on the 9227 and I couldn't be happier.

Good luck with your pick.

I use the Porter-Cable that's rebranded by Griot's Garage. Good machine.

Here's a piece of advice after trying all kinds of products: Woody Wax's Ultra Gloss is a great product if your gelcoat is at all chalky. It takes off the chalk better than most other products, is easy to apply and remove, and it leaves a wax surface (that you should cover with another coat of wax).

Note: I'm not any kind of Woody Wax shill -- I think their nonskid product is crap.

Here's a piece of advice after trying all kinds of products: Woody Wax's Ultra Gloss is a great product if your gelcoat is at all chalky. It takes off the chalk better than most other products, is easy to apply and remove, and it leaves a wax surface (that you should cover with another coat of wax).

I like Woodys too. :)

IMG_0274.JPG

Where is the best place to get this woody wax stuff? How should it be applied? Do I use any other compand agents after?

If you can't get it locally, you can get it here:

http://www.woody-wax.com/

The fiberglass restorer is a medium to mild abrasive that is used to clean and prepare the surface.

After using the restorer, and once you are satisfied with the cleanliness of the finish... topcoat it with your favorite wax product.