Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lets Talk Batteries

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Put me down for the ol' cheap lead-acid Walmart batteries. I typically get three years out of a set. I don't pound my boat in rough water, so the lead acid plates seem to hold up fine. I can get to them when it's watering time, so thats not an issue for me. (HotSpot would not have that problem if he would make trollnheel do the maintenance :) )

Never heard a bad thing about the AGM batteries from anybody, by the way. I just don't think I need them.

I might add that I have REALLY OLD motors, and they do not seem to require alot of battery punch to start, and my trolling motor doesn't seem to care either.

Most of my fishing is shallow along the shoreline so the troller is ran up to 8 hours some days, and some areas I like to get to are only accessed by trolling motor. I currently have the wet cell batteries, but they are a major pain to get at to check the water level so it doesn't get done very often.

I have a Minn Kota on board charger that says it will do AGM batteries, but I didn't see anything about having to change the way that it is set up to make it work for AGM.

I will be checking out Sears to see what they have. I would rather buy local where it is easier and faster to make returns if need be.