Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Lets Talk Batteries

It just dawned on me yesterday that I left the batteries in the boat all winter. I was going to replace them this year anyway.

What does everyone recommend?

Boat is a 28' Pursuit with twin Crusader inboards.

Hey R.I.B.

Take a look at the batteries over at West Marine. Read some of the reviews on their site under:

"SeaVoltĀ® Dual-Purpose Absorbed Glass Mat Batteries"

Go with 2 Group 27's for those Small Block Chevys, You will touch the key and start 'em up!

I run my electrontics and radio all day and they never go below 11.5V.

They start my Chev HO 350 with just a tap of the key and VRoooommm, even on the coldest morning in December here in the NE.........

Good price and West takes everthing back regardless of why! :D

BrokenWrench

;)

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of great info guys. Just a couple extra tidbits.

Their are only 3 battery manufactures left in the U.S.(Stay away from china batteries)

Deka, Excide, and Johnson controls. No matter what the sticker says on it, One of these made it.

Some other batt. info on state of charge.

12.6v=100% charge

12.4v=75%

12.2v=50%

12.0v=25%

11.8v or less=discharge

Just something to keep in mind while whatching your voltmeter when sitting still.

Lots of great info guys. Just a couple extra tidbits.

Their are only 3 battery manufactures left in the U.S.(Stay away from china batteries)

Deka, Excide, and Johnson controls. No matter what the sticker says on it, One of these made it.

Some other batt. info on state of charge.

12.6v=100% charge

12.4v=75%

12.2v=50%

12.0v=25%

11.8v or less=discharge

Just something to keep in mind while whatching your voltmeter when sitting still.

From my vast amount of research, :D it seems Deka is the way to go.

Put me down for the ol' cheap lead-acid Walmart batteries. I typically get three years out of a set. I don't pound my boat in rough water, so the lead acid plates seem to hold up fine. I can get to them when it's watering time, so thats not an issue for me. (HotSpot would not have that problem if he would make trollnheel do the maintenance :) )

Never heard a bad thing about the AGM batteries from anybody, by the way. I just don't think I need them.

I might add that I have REALLY OLD motors, and they do not seem to require alot of battery punch to start, and my trolling motor doesn't seem to care either.

I used to think I had to spend big $ on batteries. Bought 2 of these in a pinch and will buy them again.

I think there is a good chance the Odysseys are made here. Here's the statement from their website:

ODYSSEY batteries are manufactured to strict quality standards in two facilities globally: Warrensburg, Missouri USA and Newport, Wales United Kingdom.

Though, at the price, they could have been shipped first class from the UK.