Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Want to share your Dolphin tactics?

Dolphin, Mahi Mahi, Dorado.....whatever you choose to call them, who doesn't love to catch them?

I have compiled many tips & tricks over the years, and I am planning to compile them into a single article but first I'd like to hear your tips. I have a host of tips for trolling, but in particular, what I'm short on is any tips on Chumming/chunking and running & gunning. I will post what I write after it's complete.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We were bottom fishing a couple of days ago and had two swim by. One guy had his rig ready to drop back down but threw it at the dolphin-one on; another guy flipped a bait we were letting sit behind the boat-#2 on. If they are hungry, and when aren't they, they hit about anything!!! They are so easy, almost feel bad about putting them in the boat; yeah, right!!!

I'm not trying to learn how to catch them...I do pretty well in that department. What I'm looking for here are the kinds of things you might say to your neighbor if he just bought a boat and decided he wanted to start fishing for them.

I've seen alot of people ask this question, so I decided to make a project out of it.

I'm not trying to learn how to catch them...I do pretty well in that department. What I'm looking for here are the kinds of things you might say to your neighbor if he just bought a boat and decided he wanted to start fishing for them.

I've seen alot of people ask this question, so I decided to make a project out of it.

Get a de-###### to release the little ones without ever touching them. Trying to get the hook out of a 20# dorado and get him back on his way can be dangerous for both of you.

(I just checked the preview on this post and apparently a built in censor blocked out h00ker in deh00ker. Is this for real?)

post-2449-1242445331_thumb.jpg

Depends on the region. Up here in the NE, we have lobster sets in 100 fathoms, or right on the edge of the continental shelf. They make wonderful FADs, as dolphin congregate around them from July thru October. When I seek such "dolphin-rich environments", though, it's usually because I'm looking for what eats them, namely blue marlin.