Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Want to share your Dolphin tactics?

FishinNutz.........The de-###### is made by Precision Marine Hardware (949) 631 3469. It is particularly useful for billfish. The weight of the de-###### sliding down the leader is usually enough to dislodge the single hook I use in marlin feathers. I seldom touch a bill since I got it. With dorado the fish often ends up in the air while you shake him off, but it is much better than trying to remove a hook by hand from a green fish that is trying to leave the hook stuck in you.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the west coast area Birds tell the story in the Sea of Cortes my pink and blue pusher is killing them along with strip marlin ,wahoo. G O M along the grass mini jet did good all out but we casted something like this PIC to-wards anything floating and here comes the fins jumping to get to the bait. out of Mexico Beach Fl.

post-1969-1242698776_thumb.jpg

Tip # _____ Tranquilize your dorado before you bring him aboard. A green 30 pounder can make a mess in your boat, and about all there is to do is get out of his way. On one end he will have a hook or two that he would be happy to transfer to you, and on the other a tail that can deliver a blow that will surprise you.

post-2449-1242780844_thumb.jpg

Tip # _____ Tranquilize your dorado before you bring him aboard. A green 30 pounder can make a mess in your boat, and about all there is to do is get out of his way. On one end he will have a hook or two that he would be happy to transfer to you, and on the other a tail that can deliver a blow that will surprise you.

LOL....I've had a couple of messes like that!

Have the fish box open and ready for immediate deployment of the fish in there, close box and lock it or stand on it while the fish does its thing. Don't worry about the hook 'till it's done.

-Always keep one fish in the water

Dolphin are retarded, they eat anything. Last 25 lb. cow I caught had a 4 inch by 1.5 inch piece of plastic in its stomach that was a neon green color. Probably thought it was a juvenile dolphin.

I catch them on live bait off the kite, flatlines, anything, you have it, they will eat just about anything. Key is to find clean blue water and if you find that, and you find structure in the right time of the year, you've probably found dolphin. Usually when I find something like a weedline or a piece of debris, I will troll it for a little bit and if no luck, I will sit there for a half hour or so and chum and chunk it. You'd be surprised how quick the dolphin further down the weedline show up when they hone in on bait. These fish constantly eat and are very good at it so they have to have the instinct to find things to eat constantly.

Current edges are also key for success, but when all else fails, blind troll the 'noisiest' spread you have - Boone birds, bubblers, etc. If you have a spread that makes a big presentation, it helps raise single fish that are cruising and looking for food.

Here's one of my tricks:

I keep a gallon milk jug about 3/4 full of dog food tucked away on the boat (puppy chow works well, because it's small enough to pour through a large funnel) and a quart bottle of menhaden milk (the concentrated kind).

On a day when things are going slow, I'll pour the menhaden milk & some water in & let the dog food soak it up for a while, poke a bunch of holes in it and tie it to another unpierced jug (for flotation) and then throw it in the water, mark my position, note the current direction and leave for a half hour or so (just resume trolling).

After I've been gone for a while I'll troll back toward where I left the dog food chum, and many times will find that it has attracted fish.

Here's one of my tricks:

I keep a gallon milk jug about 3/4 full of dog food tucked away on the boat (puppy chow works well, because it's small enough to pour through a large funnel) and a quart bottle of menhaden milk (the concentrated kind).

On a day when things are going slow, I'll pour the menhaden milk & some water in & let the dog food soak it up for a while, poke a bunch of holes in it and tie it to another unpierced jug (for flotation) and then throw it in the water, mark my position, note the current direction and leave for a half hour or so (just resume trolling).

After I've been gone for a while I'll troll back toward where I left the dog food chum, and many times will find that it has attracted fish.

Try dumping grass clippings and twigs around the chum jug. When you return to it, you may be pleasantly surprised as to what even large dolphin will consider as suitable "cover". It's an old Florida Keys guide trick.