Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Dumb Vhf Question

Just put a new antenna on the boat (don't ask). Instead of a solder on end this one is the Shakespeare screw on type. Should I use a ohm meter to check to make sure the connection is good? Any idea of about what the reading should be? I used my handheld back up and can talk and receive but that was from a short distance.

• 1 month later...
Thanks,

No dead short so I think I'm fine. I'll just make sure I do a radio check next time I make it over to the coast.

"dead shorts" are common across the center pin and shell on marine antennas. It's part of the matching system (presents a 50 ohm load to the radio) that's a part of the antenna. It doesn't prove anything. A VHF SWR meter (cheap) or an antenna analyzer (expensive) is the only way to check an antenna.

Just put a new antenna on the boat (don't ask). Instead of a solder on end this one is the Shakespeare screw on type.

What does this mean?

If this is a Shakespeare antenna, it likely has a "captive" coaxial cable (permanently attached to the antenna) that terminates with a PL-259 connector (that you, or your installer, installed). This, of course, is connected to the SO-239 connector on the back of the radio.

Most, if not all, marine VHF antennas will read open on a continuity test. As skunked_again pointed out, "dead short" means nothing.

What, exactly, is the problem?

Davepen- I believe Tooreel was referring to these Centerpin Solderless connectors. http://www.shakespeare-marine.com/connecto...ick=PL-259-CP-G

They are so fast and easy and just as reliable as soldered if dielectric grease is applied to the cable and pins before assembling, then the connector is wrapped with self-amalgamating tape after. Should last forever.