Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Removing Lettering?

As any one had good sucsess removing lettering (boat name) from the transom?

I have a good industrial heat gun. Is there a solution if any to spray on first?

Thanks for for any input.

Chip

I took mine off with a blow dryer and a plastic scraper. A heat gun might be too hot. To remove the adhesive, I used WD40. The glue came right off.

I took mine off with a blow dryer and a plastic scraper. A heat gun might be too hot. To remove the adhesive, I used WD40. The glue came right off.

Same here. I used a hair dryer and a plastic scraper. Once I got it hot alot of it I was able to pull a corner up and get a hold of it and pull some pretty bigpieces off. The craper took care of the rest. Good luck with the color difference when they come off!! :753_hammer_hitting_head::753_hammer_hitting_head:

A hairdryer and scraper work. Be carefull with the gelcoat. I'm told Easyoff Oven Cleaner is very good but haven't tried it. You will have "ghosting" where the decal was removed. Compound, restorer amd wax will help but be aware you won't get a match. The rest of the hull has faded; the areas which were covered by the decal are closer to the origional color. It will take years for a match so don't worry about it.

• 3 weeks later...

go to a local napa store and ask for a tool they sell that is made for removing decals and pinstripping. Or any good auto body supply store will have a similiar tool.

I just used mine to remove all the stripes and decals from my 25 coastal. It will leave a shiny gel coat that does not match the rest of the hull but some good compound and polish should take care of that.\

In my sign shop we do it daily, as much as I hate it!! The key to removing old vinyl lettering is to understand that you need to PEEL it off and NOT try to scrape it. Peeling goes alot slower but does virtually no damage. Scraping goes quicker in the sense of removing vinyl, but takes alot longer overall because you will end up spreading the adhesives around and putting fine scratches in the Gel . When you peel vinyl , you want to try to peel it as close to perpendicular to the hull/transom as possible, rather than pulling it away and towards you. Pulling it will just cause it to keep snapping. What others said about heating it up and keeping it warm and soft is true. We use little blue propane torches if power isnt available, they do a better job because its more focused heat. Obviuosly you have to be much more careful because it can burn the hull.............