Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Buying A House

This has been a gaint pain from the get go, tons of deals on the market, but with them a ton of junk, and even more of what I consider to be "suburbia hell". Came across one this past Thursday when visiting a customers office (home office), that was across the road from his place, that had gone on the market that day. Coundn't even find a MLS on it. Contacted my realtor, who has be a huge help through the whole process, and when in to see it friday, got an offer submitted yesterday, and got a counter offer back within $2500 bucks of it, with the seller agreeable to pay all closing costs & for a home warranty. Only thing I have to pay out of pocket is for the inspection and termite inspection, 2 things that I feel like I should want to be paying for myself. The process is still not done by any means, but it does bring quite a sense of relief to know that the hours of searching are done, at least for the time being.

That said, anyone have an inspector they would recomend around Spartanburg SC? I would prefer someone who does residential work as well as inspections.

Ersk hopefully you haven't concluded the negotiation thing. Because I'd send your agent back in with another counter and strong advice. I'd counter the seller to pay for your inspections, but you get to choose who you want. I'd get your agent to bestow upon the seller or selling agent how fortunate the seller is to have a buyer, let-a-long a buyer in the first couple of days. In today's market the seller could easily be sitting on a house for sale for six months a year.

edit: your angle here is: life can not move forward when one wants to sell their house but can't.

Get tough with your agent.......you can like them all you want, but remember they want you to pay top buck.....an agent's income is based off of your spending, agents are not flat rate. Make no mistake about it, they will give you buckets loads of BS just to get the money out of your pocket. Remember you are in the drivers seat and it is your money that you are spending, so get tough and get demanding with your agent.

Oh, and never appear to desperate for a house. You have to let your agent know you are willing to walk away from any house you are interested in. The more your agent knows your heart is set on a given house the more the agent can and will put the screws to you......he/ she wants your money!!! And as much of it they can get their hands on!!!

the only reason I didn't do that initially, my original offer was quite a bit lower than asking price, so overall I am not too terribly worried about the less than 500 bucks I will have to spend on the inspections. The listing agent actually owns the house, and is making a few other concessions as well, and while I know I could probably negotiate the inspections, I don't want to hold anything up over a marginal amount of $, especially considering I need to be in a home within the next two months. The sellers counter is really exactly where I expected him to come in at, and given the quality of construction it is going to be a bargain compared to comparable homes in the same subdivision, not to mention it is about 50k below my designated budget, and needs absolutely nothing done to it to be either move in ready or make my fiance happy.

Congrats on finding a good one, we have been looking for a month or two,we close the end of this month on our dream house. The good deals get taken pretty quick but the junk just lays out there. We got close to an acre inside the National Forest on a 60-80 acre lake, for a great price. We are paying for all the inspections and closing costs, but it's all good... just waitin' on the keys!

Congrats on finding a good one, we have been looking for a month or two,we close the end of this month on our dream house. The good deals get taken pretty quick but the junk just lays out there. We got close to an acre inside the National Forest on a 60-80 acre lake, for a great price. We are paying for all the inspections and closing costs, but it's all good... just waitin' on the keys!

still got a ways to go before everything is finalized. We have verbally agreed to the counter offer, and will be signing the contract for it tomorrow, hopefully everything on the finance end will go smoothly, the biggest thing I have heard on that end is that underwriting can take a while with the large number of folks doing refi's.

Ersk hopefully you haven't concluded the negotiation thing. Because I'd send your agent back in with another counter and strong advice. I'd counter the seller to pay for your inspections, but you get to choose who you want. I'd get your agent to bestow upon the seller or selling agent how fortunate the seller is to have a buyer, let-a-long a buyer in the first couple of days. In today's market the seller could easily be sitting on a house for sale for six months a year.

edit: your angle here is: life can not move forward when one wants to sell their house but can't.

Get tough with your agent.......you can like them all you want, but remember they want you to pay top buck.....an agent's income is based off of your spending, agents are not flat rate. Make no mistake about it, they will give you buckets loads of BS just to get the money out of your pocket. Remember you are in the drivers seat and it is your money that you are spending, so get tough and get demanding with your agent.

Oh, and never appear to desperate for a house. You have to let your agent know you are willing to walk away from any house you are interested in. The more your agent knows your heart is set on a given house the more the agent can and will put the screws to you......he/ she wants your money!!! And as much of it they can get their hands on!!!

Garett,

Not all Real Estate Brokers operate that way. I have always put my clients interests before my commission. If you do the right thing the money will follow. This way of doing business has allowed me to stay active during this market. I have clients calling me and referring me friends/family because they know I will fight for them and tell them to walk away if the transaction is not going their way.

Just like in every line of work: there are great Realtors and there are terrible Realtors.

One good thing that has come out of this terrible market is that the Realtors that did not get a lot of referall busines are now doing something else!!

Just my $.02..........

Garett,

Not all Real Estate Brokers operate that way. I have always put my clients interests before my commission. If you do the right thing the money will follow. This way of doing business has allowed me to stay active during this market. I have clients calling me and referring me friends/family because they know I will fight for them and tell them to walk away if the transaction is not going their way.

Just like in every line of work: there are great Realtors and there are terrible Realtors.

One good thing that has come out of this terrible market is that the Realtors that did not get a lot of referall busines are now doing something else!!

Just my $.02..........

lol, I like the way you think, unfortunately I am sure the Mrs. will be more than capable of running through it in short time decorating & such. I have a few small projects of my own I want to do, yall feel free to add any necessities that I miss.

add a utility sink in the garage.

overhead lift pully's throughout the garage for increased storage.

add big ole vice to the work bench

beer fridge in garage (or possibly kegerator)

2 grills, webber kettle for charcoal moods, Wilmington Grill for everyday.

stereo for garage

cut down some trees