Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Home Inspectors

I guess I don't understand how you could hire someone

to do major work for major money and not trust them to

do the job right. To the point where you pay someone else

to keep an eye on them? When do you hire someone to watch

the guy you hired to watch the guy who's doing the actual work?

Sound like a public works project.

I've been using the same contractor (2 Guys) for about 10

years. 1 addition, 2 bathroom remodels, a few small "odd"

jobs and now major repair due to ice storm damage from

December. Probably $100K over the years. We've established

a few rules and have never had ANY problems. Written and signed

estimates and contracts. Any changes due to unforeseen issues that

will add cost or change appearance are discussed. Communicate regularly.

If they're not going to show up as planned, I get a call. Mostly common

sense and courtesty, in both directions.

I have no issue with them hiring someone, as long as they are competent. I can understand the clients position, from a business perspective. They know nothing about the building industry and are hedging their investment, which really is a smart move. Really no different than people who hire a surveyor to provide reports on boats that have been commissioned or surveys on new vessels.

The problem I have is first that the identified "critical issues" are anything but and stupid to say the least. Second, the approach the inspector provides the report to them. It is in a manner that everything needs to stop and these non-issues fixed now. The owners called me, and I talked them off the ledge. They actually "get it" once it is explained to them, but it takes some time and effort to get them off the ledge if you will.

I think I have talked them away from this so called inspector and they will be hiring a new one. I have alos got them to agree that under the new inspector, before their report is submitted, it will include written repsonses to any items from me and the report will be signed by me and the inspector.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got a best friend who has been building since he was 14 (started helping frame, father was a contractor) and learned the business from the ground up. He got a license (commercial/residential) at 21 and has steadily built homes and projects since then 18 years ago. His brother was a few years younger and never had any interest or took part in the construction business until much later and on a small scale...took the prep courses and got a contractor's license. He is an inspector....I wouldn't let him build a spec house for my dog but he is telling folks like his brother how things should be built. In general the old saying is true...those who can do and those who can't tell others how to do it. There are some good inspectors out there but the system is definitely flawed.

Around 10 years ago I had a friend who purchased a home inspection bussiness. Never worked in any construction field. Was working in a yeast factory when he purchased bussiness. He went on 2 inspections with seller. Next day he was inspecting houses. All he needed was a bussiness license. Don't know if it is any more regulated today.

As a builder, I am forever amazed at how any experts there are out there. It doesn't matter if it is the ridge beam or the sprinkler system, somebody is going to tell you what you are doing wrong. The real irony is the number of times the building inspector gets it wrong.

This week it was the electric company. They drew the distribution plan for the subdivision and accepted it when it was completely installed. But when we called 'em out to tie in the first house, they said the 3 foot by 5 foot box they specified was too small to do a splice in. I said there's only one house and only one splice. It turns out they wanted to run the street light out of the same box. I pointed out that there was no street light and the response was "Well, there might be if they ever widen the road." I don't know about your code, but we have to cover all conduit with at least 12 inches of concrete, so putting in a bigger box is not an easy or inexpensive task. You know who gets to pay for it.

I had a finished home going for a co the town started a grading and drainage ordinance during the construction and insisted i conform. OK I met with the engineer and he said just take care of this and that and get it surveyed OK called for reinspection different engineer arrives and says I don't care what he wanted this is what I want and get it surveyed. The end result is they have you and they know it. They probably got beat up every day in grade school. The long run is that it is cheaper and quicker to comply than fight I graduated from hard knocks not law school.

I think I have talked them away from this so called inspector and they will be hiring a new one. I have alos got them to agree that under the new inspector, before their report is submitted, it will include written repsonses to any items from me and the report will be signed by me and the inspector.

From the viewpoint of the customer, I know I'd MUCH prefer to get "both sides of the story" all at one time, rather than getting the inspector's report and fussing and fuming over it until I was able to get the builder's rebuttals. Would probably save me a bunch on either blood pressure pills or JW Blue.