Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Suzuki Gauge issue

Guys,

Can you do me a favor and direct the owner who has the Suzuki Gauge problem over here? Some folks at THT have said to get a hold of me, but I can't reply on THAT site! Heaven forbid trying to help someone. Here's the link:

http://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-forum/...lem-smis-2.html

Just want to get the guy's problem fixed.

Bob :605_thumbs_up:

Wiley,

Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds here. Just trying to help the guy with his gauge issue.

Bob C

Bob,

Unbeknownst to this thread, I just sent the guy a PM about you and how helpful you were to me. You're a gentelman, I would call you a scollar if you were not a Gator :1143_neener_neener_neener: . Go Canes!

Thanks again, Enjoy your knowledge.

I am not the guy with all the problems for the other forum, I was actually trying to help him, sorta like the blind leading the blind. anyway as of yesterday i did not have a probem, now I do. I just powered up my install (motors (DF 300's) and gage) Motors trim and make some little noises, but I have to bring it to the dealer to get the BCM setup on their laptop. (next week). However my gages didn't power up. Some back ground, my engines are new 2007 models, twins, single station. I have one suzuki gage LMF 400 and two Lowrance LMF 400's but the the two Lowrance's had red connectors and I am now waiting on the adaptor. so there is a resistor on the suzuki gage tee and the other two are other of the loop of to speak. Also on the network are two engine interface cables and a GPS antennea.

I read that the network for the DF300's did not need a power node. right now the only power connection is the battery wire that is connected into the forward controls harness and of course the engine battery cables. So do i need another power connection? The dual engine adaptor harness that plus into a square socket near the key sw and hooks to the two engine interface cables had two mystery wires a black and a blue both with the low tech push type connectors on each. And each engine interface had a two conductor plug (high tech oring type) and these are also unconnected as is the two single wires mentioned earllier. I am guess ing that at least one of these sets of wire needs to go to power. Anyway, that's what i got. Any advice would be appreciated.

Knot,

So you have the red/blue issue, Suzuki's bad there as they had Lowrance build too many blue connector hardware knowing full well NMEA 2000 connectors were going to be the screw-on type in '08. Anyway, red-to-blue adapters will take care of that.

On to your issues. You definitely need a network power supply (P/N 990C0-88012). That is what supplies power to your gauges. Only need one, it plugs into it's own tee. Now, with any NMEA 2000 network, there will only be (2) termination resistors, one at each end of the network. If you have any tees in your bilge area, (for fuel sensor, sea water temp sensor, etc.), one will go on the last tee there and the other will go at the helm, on the last tee there. If all your tees are at the helm, both resistors will go there one at each end of the network. Once you get your network power supply harness, you can at least power up the "Suzuki" gauge, but I would wait until you get it to the dealer, as they tend to give you little warnings if the laptop hasn't been put on the system.

The blue and black wires you mentioned? Don't worry about them. The other connector (high-tech looking) is where the computer plugs in and does it's thing. It should have a weather cap plugged into it.

The sorry thing is your dealer (unless it was part of the Motor/rigging package you bought) is going to charge you an hours labor for something that takes 5 minutes. This is the process:

-The software will ask how many motors and how many stations.

-It will then say to trim the port engine down all the way.

Next it will ask to do the same for starboard. This tells the network which engine lives where.

-Next it will do what we call "handle adaptation". Same thing Merc does with DTS systems. Involves moving the shift levers to full

reverse, reverse idle, neutral, fwd idle, full fwd, back to neutral.

-Done.

Hope this has helped. If the dealer wants to set up your gauges (and he knows what he's doing), let him go ahead and do it. Observe him while he does it. I have a programming guide in PDF form that I wrote for our installers so they don't have to call me all the time. PM me and I'll email you a copy of it.

I checked the unconnected wires mentioned earlier. The gray and black wires that are part of the dual engine adaptor harness are hot, 12vdc between them so I think the network has power? the other two connection plugs on the engine interfaces , one has about 5vdc the other is less than 1vdc. So I am thinking it problem is not the lack of power. Possibly the engines have to programed first but the doesn't sound right to me.

You definitely need a network power supply (P/N 990C0-88012)

There may be 12V present in a harness, but are your gauges seeing voltage? They won't work without this. It is required in all SMIS installs, whether it be a single 150 or twin 300s.

My situation dealer wise is a little conplicated. I bought the engines from a large fl dealer who had them laying around awhile. I bought the rigging package and some of the suzuki gage stuff from my local dealer. They are new to suzuki and are just getting started with the brand. They have agreed to do the suzuki set up but I wanted to rig them myself as I have my own ways of doing things.

My network is capped off both ends no open tees and all blue right now. I wanted to get the single "suzuki" gage up before adding the lowrance's and their blue -red issues. I got the "no node needed" info from Brown's point who I ordered some network stuff from as well.

Where could I get some weather caps from the open plugs on the engine interfaces?

If you look at my web site at my user name with a dot com sufix you can see what hardheaded is all about. The site is about my build of Hammer my boat on which these engines are going.

Thanks for your help. Got any idea where I could get a suzuki setup cd?