Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Older Robalo from the 70's

I saw an older Robalo 20' cc that needs a new transom and new motor - I was thinking of picking it up as a project boat.

Anyone know how these boats ride?

Good boats and heavy through the waves. By which I mean they dont just bounce around on the top, they are heavier and a softer ride for thier size. It could be a great project, and if you do it then keep the pics coming.

That said, by the time you spend money on all the material ,rewire it , and buy a new or used engine I would say you will be out 4-5k minimum. And that does not count sweat equity.

Think about how much boat you could buy with 5k first.

Im not trying to dissuade you. If I had time I would take that project on in a second. It sounds like fun and there is nothing better than a boat the you (re)Built yourself.

Im just trying to set expectations. Good luck, let me know what you decide.

I had a 1976 and it would pound in a sea. In the rivers, etc. it was a pretty good ride. I think pre 81 or 82 were the good boats and after they were cobias (cobalo nickname) and had troubles.

I have a 1978 256 that I put a full transom on and a new 300 Zuke and it's perfect for leaving in the bahamas as I do with her.

The fuel tank is foamed in and ya need a 4000 psi pressure washer to blow the foam away for removal. I think the 20 had 10 or 11 degree deadrise.

I had a 1976 and it would pound in a sea. In the rivers, etc. it was a pretty good ride. I think pre 81 or 82 were the good boats and after they were cobias (cobalo nickname) and had troubles.

I have a 1978 256 that I put a full transom on and a new 300 Zuke and it's perfect for leaving in the bahamas as I do with her.

The fuel tank is foamed in and ya need a 4000 psi pressure washer to blow the foam away for removal. I think the 20 had 10 or 11 degree deadrise.

Didnt have a 20 but a 23 from that vintage and Foam in the hull was wet and heavy. The floor deck coring needed replacing in a lot of areas. maybe from the T top screws not sealed properly but it was also bab in areas father away. I think they tried to build a boat similar to boston whaler with all the foam in the hull? which made it heavy and a tough time removing the fuel tank to a new one because it was bad on mine. Do your home work when you sea trial?

Robalo made one solid boat back then.......

I would try take a good long look at the condition of the wood in the floor and the stringers, but access will be tough. If the transom is bad, you can probably bet wont wont stop there. What others said about that foam is accurate as well. If I were gonna buy that as a project boat, I would want someone to use a moisture meter on it first to try to really identify what I was getting into...........

What WMalloy382 said. But I have a 2 1/2 times rule. Whatever your estimate multiply it by 250% and you will be closer to what you will spend by the end of the project. Figure a transom at $4000 plus, then engine, rewiring, batteries, horn, bilge pumps, switches, electronics, etc. We looked at one of these projects but found some amazing deals around. There are some super boats on sale you can buy for 1/3 off and the seller is still happy.

What WMalloy382 said. But I have a 2 1/2 times rule. Whatever your estimate multiply it by 250% and you will be closer to what you will spend by the end of the project. Figure a transom at $4000 plus, then engine, rewiring, batteries, horn, bilge pumps, switches, electronics, etc. We looked at one of these projects but found some amazing deals around. There are some super boats on sale you can buy for 1/3 off and the seller is still happy.

When you say $4000 for a transom I am assumming you are talking about having someone do it for you, right? I am not sure how the layout of the Robalos are but I have seen a bunch of older wellcraft's done with Seacast or other pourable materials for a heck of a lot cheaper. Can you dig out the old wood in the transom and just pour on the Robalos? That would be a huge money saver.

-Svence