Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Mariner Outboard Help/Question

I have been working on restoring a 14' fiberglass jon boat that we have had for years. I am not quite through but need to start thinking about propulsion. I have a 15 Hp Mariner that came with the boat. Based on serial #, I have determined that it is a 1986 (Yamaha built). This motor actually has less than 20 hours on it but has been sitting for more than 10 years. The rope pulls so nothing seems to be seized up.

I imagine that the carb needs rebuilding and the fuel system needs to be cleaned out. Additionally it needs new plugs, the lower unit should be drained/refilled and the water pump should be rebuilt. What if anything else should I do with this motor? I am pretty mechanical though I have never done all this stuff. Is this too much to attempt? Should I just take it to a shop? Just trying to save some $ and learn something in the process. Any help/advice appreciated.

Thanks

If I recall correctly the power head on that vintage Mariner is Yamaha but the lower gear casing and components are Mercury. That was true on an 88 40hp that my brother is still running.

Suggest mystery oil or some oil put in the cylinders and let set for a few days that might loosen additional corrosion that might exist in upper cylinders. Other than that your plan seems correct.

Thanks, I appreciate the response. I going to give it a shot, what have I got to lose?

Absolutely! Based on what you describe, you're not going to hurt anything. But definitely replace the water pump impeller before you attempt to get the motor started.

I have the same Mariner. 1989 40 hp. This power head is identical to the 40C 2cylinder Yamaha, pleanty of parts still available, Carb kits are like 30.00, I even have a Electric Start COnversion kit, has soleniods, new starter, and matching flywheel.

Just do not now if I am going to use as have found a newer Yammy 30..

Thanks guys. I monkeyed around with it this weekend, cleaning out the fuel filter, etc. Pulled the rope while my son held a plug and still got spark (yeah, I know, that was kinda mean but he learned a lesson). Hoping that is a good sign. I'll see if I can actually get it to fire up after I replace the impeller.