Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Rub Rail

Hi there, got a minor prob. I just bought a 17 ft Cape Craft ( got tired of getting beat up off Shore) and the rub rail is all discollored. It is a hard rubber of some kind. Is there any kind of stain or paint that can be used on it that will stand up under salt water? Thanks for the help. Ginrickri

I believe it will be easier to replace the rub rail, as far as where to get parts for Cape Craft I am not sure. I am sure others will chime in as to where to get/receive these parts. Congrats on the new/bigger boat!

David

Hi there, got a minor prob. I just bought a 17 ft Cape Craft ( got tired of getting beat up off Shore) and the rub rail is all discollored. It is a hard rubber of some kind. Is there any kind of stain or paint that can be used on it that will stand up under salt water? Thanks for the help. Ginrickri

Hi...

Do you have a close up pic (even from a cell phone) so I can possibly come up with a suggestion?

jeff

Hi...

Do you have a close up pic (even from a cell phone) so I can possibly come up with a suggestion?

jeff

Aurora Marine supposedly has a product that cleans and protects rubrails. I've never used it but you may want to check there website or call them before you go to the expense and hassle of replacing a rubrail.

Based on my years of experience with rub rail restoration. you may want to try the following:

1. thoroughly clean and de-wax the surface.

2. Use a rotary buffer with a yellow wool polishing pad at 1500 rpm

3. Work as flat and gentle as possible using 1500 or 1000 grit compound.

4. Remember not to use too much compound as the pad does much of the work.

5. email me if you have further questions.

This process will work with rubber or PVC which is generally made by Taco Products.

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...