Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

2009 Boating / Fishing goals

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For you guys that want to catch a cobia... one word of advice. MAKE SURE he is wore out before boating him. You'll be amazed at the damage a green one can do! Box him or get the hell out of his way.

I have never targeted them, they have allways been a by catch and allways close to shore king fishing, both live baiting and speed trolling. Caught 4 so far, great eating.

For you guys that want to catch a cobia... one word of advice. MAKE SURE he is wore out before boating him. You'll be amazed at the damage a green one can do! Box him or get the hell out of his way.

I have never targeted them, they have allways been a by catch and allways close to shore king fishing, both live baiting and speed trolling. Caught 4 so far, great eating.

AS a kid I participated in the boating of one. We were in NC in a boat that was way too smal for Beaufort inlet. That cobia broke a tackle box, tossed a net and a cooler out of the boat, and left a welt on my thigh that was there for a week.

Several of you mentioned your kids and fishing.

I got my son started at age 3. Caught a few bluegill, he loved it. Last year I upgraded him to a zebco reel on an uglystick rod. He can cast it like a champ. Catches fish, reels them in, and is an animal. I'm waiting for the croaker run to solidify to get him out soon :-). He was catching bluefish two at a time on an outing last summer, it was amazing!

Don't underestimate your kids. Age 3-4 is good enough for a snoopy rod. About age 5 upgrade them to at least a half decent buttoncast, if not a spinning rod. This summer I'm teaching him to use one.