Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trouble Starting Yamaha

I have a 2003, 2-stoke, 70 hp Yamaha. I am having trouble getting it started. If you spray carb cleaner in it, it will start and idle a little rough but once it warms up it runs great. It will restart as long as the motor is warm/hot but if it sits too long I have to use carb cleaner to get it started. Two questions, any idea why it won't start on it's own and, is it harmful to the engine to use carb cleaner to get it started? This is driving me crazy because once it is running, it runs great. I ran it all the way out to Little River Inlet today and it never missed a beat.

Does it have that Prime Start Auto ignition system like my 90 hp? If it does, there is an element that heats up and chokes the engine, if you advance the throttle before this thing works the engine will have trouble starting. Have to crank on my 90, it finally starts after you think it will never start and like you mentioned, cranks fine after the initial start up. Do not like this thing at all, was used to my old Johnson 85 hp that cranked with one click of the choke switch, no matter how long it sat up.

Edited by seagull22

Primer bulb is tight, plugs were cleaned and gap checked. I am using the choke, just want to start without help. I probably won't b out again before I can get it into a shop. Just seems odd, runs great once it is started. I am not sure about the Prime Start Auto Ignition. Guess I'll just let the shop sort it out and hope it is a cheap/easy fix.

• 3 weeks later...
Primer bulb is tight, plugs were cleaned and gap checked. I am using the choke, just want to start without help. I probably won't b out again before I can get it into a shop. Just seems odd, runs great once it is started. I am not sure about the Prime Start Auto Ignition. Guess I'll just let the shop sort it out and hope it is a cheap/easy fix.

Sounds like its time to take off and clean the carbs. Might just be a cheap fix.

Andres

,,,,,,,,Ethanol SUX!........................................That is most likely your problem.

NEVER spray starting fluid or carb cleaner in a 2 stroke,,never!

Use a fuel additive for ethanol before you go into the carbs, it will help a lot. You should also change your fuel filter.

Edited by Capt Rick Hiott

It is in the shop now. It is suspected that it might be the starter assembly (prime start) that connects to the side of the middle carb. Guess I'll know in a few days.