Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Direct TV or Dish Network?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had DTV for about 10 years and love it. Would never go back to cable. The rain fade thing is really very minor. It doesn't happen that often, and then usually just a minute or so. Apparently it is only the very heaviest part of a storm that will block the signal and usually this moves on by pretty quick, at least where I live.

Redneck Joe is a regional manager of some kind with DTV and can answer a lot more questions on this.

I have no experience with Dish Network, but I would guess its about the same.

The only rainfade problems i had with either was during a heavy rain or storm. Then was only for a few seconds i would say both Direct and Dish were the same in that. The customer service was much better with Direct TV as Dish would tell you what they could do but not follow through with it and the next person you talk with could not approve that.

Have you checked into the possibility of getting ATT U-verse? It is similiar to cable, but gives more product for less money and requires no contract. I just recently had it installed--replacing comcast--and it is so much better in every way and is $50/month cheaper.

Have you checked into the possibility of getting ATT U-verse? It is similiar to cable, but gives more product for less money and requires no contract. I just recently had it installed--replacing comcast--and it is so much better in every way and is $50/month cheaper.

A 2nd vote for ATT U-verse....I'm saving $70/month, plus they sent me a $200 check, + I get 300+ channels now.

Additionally, their HD lineup is much more expansive than Comcast....and customer service actually picks up the phone when you have a problem.

I've been impressed so far...

If you are looking for HD channels, I would vote for Directv. There DVR's and HDDVR's have ton's of features, and Directv has the NFL Sunday Ticket if you are interested in Football. If you have any more questions just let me know b/c I am a DirecTV Dealer.

Also visit www.whereishd.com to find out what channels are in your area!

David

I have Direct TV. The rain fade can last up to a half hour and sometimes longer depending on the storm. It happens during snow also. That said I get all the Florida fishing channels, great NFL coverage and very good HD. Thier customer service is via internet and they wanted to charge me $15 to talk to a real person. All in all beats Comcast cold. I developed a "hate" for CC customer service. A friend of mine does income tax. He said if you could see what Comcast pays thier employees you would know why the service is so poor.

In my opinion you won't be sorry going with DVT, but give ATT-Uvere a look and post your results.

Had dish network for years and years until the YES network came online years back and dish couldn't make a deal with the Steinbrenners for the Yankees network, so I had to switch to DTV.

Dish had better signal through the rain, hardly ever went out, DTV is always out, it the hot weather girl predicts rain, my DTV goes out!

Sunday Ticket on DTV if your so inclined, theres lots of reasons to go with DTV but if sports isn't one of your priorities, I'd look at Dish. I liked the system better.

Both companies have customer service that's equivelant to talking to a big bucket of rusty nails.

I've been w/DTV since it was Primestar...rainfade is a small annoyance and from what I see at other peeps house and hear about cable, it's well worth putting up with...lease the equipment (if lease is still available)...that way when something goes wrong (rare) it's theirs to fix...we've had it so long we've gone thru several remotes and receivers...w/4 tvs in the house it ain't hard to do...

When we 1st moved out here to the STICKS, I called cable...their service stops 1/2 mile up the road. They told me I had to get all my neighbors to sign a petition to bring cable on down the road. I said, "So I gotta do your work for you?"...not seeing anything wrong w/that, the rep said yes...I hung up and called Primestar (at the time) and been happy for 20 years... :1947_eating_popcorn_and_drinkin

Hmmmm...the rain fade thing will annoy hell out of me. We only have comcast service here. We don't have that other thing from ATT.

I had DTV in the past and I clearly remember losing signal for up to 20 -30 mins at a time. That would drive me nuts as I usually stay in and watch movies when its a rainy day. And what about pay per view if rain blocks the signal for 30 mins? Do they reimburse you?

Do any of the dish services on demand? I do like that service from comcast (when it works). I can select any movie weather it be PPV or a free movie and watch it on the spot. This includes whatever is currently on HBO, SHO, MAX, ENC....ect.

I guess I have some more research to do.