Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

IKO shingle question for builders

I know a few of you are around here so I'm tossing it out.

I have a house and garage (about 40 sq) both cold roofed, with IKO 35 year shingles on them. The edges are starting to curl so I notified the yard and the manager brought the rep out. They all agree that I have a problem with the product and a few pieces are to be removed and replaced by leftovers from the same batch that I didn't return. It's my understanding that the factory will examine the returns and come back with an offer and check. Of course I don't think that one dime should leave my pocket over this.

When I built the house we 100% covered the roof of both buildings with I&W. This should really suck to rip. I have called the roofer who installed the roof to get a price on R&R both roofs.

Can any builders tell me how much of a battle I'm in for over this? I have never had to file a claim for a product going bad.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uphill, in any direction you look.

Document, document, and document. They will do everything in their power to blame the installation and the installer. They will want you to document and prove that you followed to the letter their installation procedures. When they do agree to cut you a check, they will also want to depreciate the shingles over thier useful life to date (I kid you not).

My suggestion is to gather as much documentation that you have or can dig up from the installation. Kille them with kindness to start out. Never agree to what they tell you intitially, thank them, digest it for 24 hours, then get back to them with follow up and more questions. They are hoping you are disorganized and will quickly go away with little fight. The more they see you are organized and knowledgable, the less leverage they will have.

Hope this helps.

My bet is they'll offer new shingles and strongarm you into the labor. Write down who says what and put a date beside it. Your roofer can probably fill you in on what works best because he's probably installed a mountain of those and it's doubtful you're an isolated case.

I know a few of you are around here so I'm tossing it out.

I have a house and garage (about 40 sq) both cold roofed, with IKO 35 year shingles on them. The edges are starting to curl so I notified the yard and the manager brought the rep out. They all agree that I have a problem with the product and a few pieces are to be removed and replaced by leftovers from the same batch that I didn't return. It's my understanding that the factory will examine the returns and come back with an offer and check. Of course I don't think that one dime should leave my pocket over this.

When I built the house we 100% covered the roof of both buildings with I&W. This should really suck to rip. I have called the roofer who installed the roof to get a price on R&R both roofs.

Can any builders tell me how much of a battle I'm in for over this? I have never had to file a claim for a product going bad.

Boy does that ever conjure up bad memories!

IKO Shingles.........F#@K THEM!!!!!!!!!

Rob you've got a better chance at f--king Pamela Anderson then you do getting compensated for your I&W. And you've got a better chance at f--king Michelle Obama then you have for being compensated for the labour! Get the Vasoline out my friend because you are about to be screwed. <_<:blink:

My last house I had IKO shingles on it - 30 yr., two tone black. Either way the shingles on the west side of the house were shot after 9 yrs. (it was either 40 or 42 bundles). The gravel on the shingles was falling off like automm leaves and they were curling worse then Bobby Hull's hockey stick.

Fault: 100% there's, they openly admitted it....apparently it was a bad batch. I had orginial sales reciept and product production codes info. The shingles were 100% installed as per their stipulations.

The bottom line was.......................get this..........................IKO was only giving me 3 (three) bundles of shingles! WTF!!!!!!!!!!!! Yup only three bundles. Oh, as a bonus because I was so pissed and threatend to smear their name, they offered to deliever the 3 bundles to my house. I told them in very direct words to go F--- themselves and to stuff the 3 bundles up their A--! And I told them I would NEVER buy their product EVER again!

Who knows Rob, maybe things a different in the States, but that's how IKO dealt with things up here. Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Good luck

Uphill, in any direction you look.

Document, document, and document. They will do everything in their power to blame the installation and the installer. They will want you to document and prove that you followed to the letter their installation procedures. When they do agree to cut you a check, they will also want to depreciate the shingles over thier useful life to date (I kid you not).

My suggestion is to gather as much documentation that you have or can dig up from the installation. Kille them with kindness to start out. Never agree to what they tell you intitially, thank them, digest it for 24 hours, then get back to them with follow up and more questions. They are hoping you are disorganized and will quickly go away with little fight. The more they see you are organized and knowledgable, the less leverage they will have.

Hope this helps.

RI Builder is correct and this could prove to be a long drawnout proccess.You will need you ducks in a row to get anything out of this company as the do not have the best record for quality of product or customer service. Onething you can try to do is get the local supplier to help you put pressure on them as they probably purchace thousands of dollars worth of product from them where as you just bought one roof.IF you get them in your corner it could be a big help AS IN THIS ECONOMY THEY DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE A CUSTUMER(the local supplier) over one roof.

The second thing you may have to do (which i hate say) is get a very good attourney. not one of the idiots that get's on TV but one who actually loves going to court.They want no part of a lawyer that actually makes his living in a court room as there leagal fees would cost them more than your roof.

I do not see how you are going to get them to pay for the I & W as that was your choice to install vs another shingle underlayment.

Onething you can try to do is get the local supplier to help you put pressure on them as they probably purchace thousands of dollars worth of product from them where as you just bought one roof.

Oh I put the heavy of my lumber yard that I dealt with......they said their hands were tided.......6 months later the lumber yard told IKO to get their f-ing product off of their yard!

I've had more than a few beers with the owner of the lumber yard.....his bottom line was IKO was hurting his business so he dropped them like a ton of bricks.

I still say it, "F--k IKO!