Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Why Is A Mc Murdo Fast Find 210 Not An Epirb

I was reading the sales info on these and they transmit at 4 and the 1. freq.s it says its water proof to a point and that it has a gps? Is it because it does not float? Why are these for sale around $290 and list price is only $325? It says the battery is good for 5 years too.ACR closest Item is near $500 unless im not understanding Advertising? I am sometimes a little slow if I screwed up on this comparison? Thanks for a reply setting me straight. But be nice, I have feelings too. thanks.

BLY,

I work at ACR Electronics and can answer your question.

The McMurdo product is approved as a PLB. By regulation an EPIRB and a PLB have different performance characteristics.

Here is a partial list below.

EPIRBs float in an upright position to transmit (perform best when floating)

PLBs float so they won’t get lost, some need pouch to float. (They need to be held out of the water or attached high up on PFD for best transmission)

EPIRBs transmit for 48hrs at temps down to -40C or -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

PLBs transmit for 24 hrs at temps down to -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

EPIRBs can be manually activated in or out of their bracket or automatically activated when out of the bracket and in the water

PLBs are manually activated

EPIRBs have a strobe light

PLBs have no strobe (some newer versions have flashing LEDs)

EPIRBs are designed to be mounted in a bracket or carried in a ditch bag

PLBs are designed to be worn or carried on your persons

EPIRBs are registered to the vessel

PLBs are registered to the person and are legal to be used on land as well

Both are required to be registered with NOAA. It’s quick, easy and free and can be done online at http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/

I hope this is helpful.

Stay Safe

Chris

BLY,

I work at ACR Electronics and can answer your question.

The McMurdo product is approved as a PLB. By regulation an EPIRB and a PLB have different performance characteristics.

Here is a partial list below.

EPIRBs float in an upright position to transmit (perform best when floating)

PLBs float so they won’t get lost, some need pouch to float. (They need to be held out of the water or attached high up on PFD for best transmission)

EPIRBs transmit for 48hrs at temps down to -40C or -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

PLBs transmit for 24 hrs at temps down to -20C (Longer in nominal temps)

EPIRBs can be manually activated in or out of their bracket or automatically activated when out of the bracket and in the water

PLBs are manually activated

EPIRBs have a strobe light

PLBs have no strobe (some newer versions have flashing LEDs)

EPIRBs are designed to be mounted in a bracket or carried in a ditch bag

PLBs are designed to be worn or carried on your persons

EPIRBs are registered to the vessel

PLBs are registered to the person and are legal to be used on land as well

Both are required to be registered with NOAA. It’s quick, easy and free and can be done online at http://www.beaconregistration.noaa.gov/

I hope this is helpful.

Stay Safe

Chris

Chris from ACR, thank you very much. That hit the nail on the head. If I could ask one more question of you? I would like to buy an acr product, But. I am being told not only is the ACR more expensive than the mc murdo. but the batterys dont need to be changed as often and they cost less to change them? This is what Im being told? Is it a case of apples and oranges? Like the epirb and plb ?

Get one of each!! That is what I did. I keep the EPIRB in the ditch bag and the PLB attached to my inflatable PFD. I like the idea of being able to use the PLB anywhere I go. How many times do you read of folks running of the road and not being found for days?? This solves that problem. I know, you all saying "it can't happen to me" but the folks it happened to probably would have said the same thing. Just my 2cents which is probaly worth nothing these days!!!

Chris from ACR, thank you very much. That hit the nail on the head. If I could ask one more question of you? I would like to buy an ACR product, But. I am being told not only is the ACR more expensive than the mc murdo. but the batterys dont need to be changed as often and they cost less to change them? This is what Im being told? Is it a case of apples and oranges? Like the epirb and plb ?

BLY,

Yes ACR EPIRBs and PLBs tend to be higher priced then competitive products. We use quality materials in the construction and our power output measures at the high end of whats allowed by regulation. We are building a quality product knowing that it is used to save lives.

Currently our EPIRBs and PLBs should be serviced in five years. This includes battery replacement as well as a complete check up on the beacon and replacement of the gasket and seals. The beacon will be pressure tested and returned with a test report. This process allows us to be sure that your beacon is ready for another five years of service.

Here is a link to an article written on the subject by Boat US. http://www.boatus.com/husick/techno09_06.asp

Some models from other manufactures have longer service intervals. I have seen six and seven years. We think that five years is long enough for a Life Saving Device to be in service without a qualified technician having a look at it.

As far as pricing for five year service this can vary. We have over 200 Battery Replacement Centers world wide. If I had to take a swag at it, PLB service would average $175 and EPIRB service would average $250-$300. This is all dependent on which model requires service.

If you need to talk more about if an EPIRB or a PLB would be better for you. Feel free to contact me directly. 954-862-2174 Chris.Wahler@Cobham.com

Stay safe

Chris

I just picked up the 210. For me, the price is finally in an area where I can't say no. Is it a full functional EPIRB? No, but that's not in the budget right now for me, and for a handful of offshore trips, this is what I need. I'm never more than 15 miles or so from land, this thing is perfect. Small, lightweight, fits in my pocket. I got a neoprene case for it, so now it floats.

It also has nice test features, self test and 5 GPS tests in its life. You can fire one off each season to make sure GPS is still working. After 5 seasons, in for its battery replacement. It does have an SOS LED as well, so I'll have that in addition to my FireFly Strobe.

I do hope to get an EPIRB someday, but for now, this thing is perfect and I hope I NEVER have to use it.