Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Curious - How Many Have Done A Boating Course?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the latest years USCG Boating Statistics:

Accidents Deaths Injuries

TOTAL 6,942 685 3,673

No Boater Education 5,190 83% 591 86% 2,738 75%

US Power Squadron 112 1 38

USCG Course 333 12 151

State Course 663 24 342

Now tell me that boater education does not work and is not worthwhile!

Debbie & I each completed the USCGA "Boating Skills & Seamanship" course (the long one) about five years ago...then their "GPS For Mariners" course more recently...I do the on-line FL FWC course about every five years or so...got their "Lifetime" certificate!!

Personally...I feel the appropriate educational courses should be a state requirement...and licensing mandatory...because of what I observe (and encounter!) while fishing/boating in the FL Keys. That said, the knowledge level at our local USCGA is poor! Once argued with the Commandant at one of their public PR displays re DSC...gave up upon his stubborn insistence the DSC system was "satellite" oriented...he "knew" it all...I "knew" nothing...gave it up.

I find it handy to annually review all the test booklets/pamphlets/etc I keep around.

The missus and I both took the basic course offered here in VA. It is required by all PWC operators and will soon be required to operate a boat in the state.

I find it crazy that one must have a driver's license to drive, but often nothing in many states to operate a boat.

Menzies,

To answer your question, I took the 13 week course offered by the USCG Aux. I was amazed at how much I didn't know. After taking it I realised how little other boaters know.

That said, the knowledge level at our local USCGA is poor! Once argued with the Commandant at one of their public PR displays re DSC...gave up upon his stubborn insistence the DSC system was "satellite" oriented...he "knew" it all...I "knew" nothing...gave it up.

You're certainly going to run into that. The Commander (Commandant is Adm. Allen, not an auxie) has a point though IF one is counting on DSC to transmit your POSITION in an emergency - As I'm sure you know, DSC capable radios take your position from your GPS. This is probably what he meant by saying it was "satellite oriented". If he was arguing that the VHF signal was "satellite oriented" he'd be absolutely wrong, but I have yet to encounter anyone that believed that. But you never know......

Kudos to you though for taking and promoting the course in spite of your experience with one individual.

BTW: I forgot to mention that teaching the Aux courses is how I met my wife Sheila. :605_thumbs_up: