Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Pics Of Custom Stereo/i Pod For Ideas Small Boats

It is the Fusion head unit sold at West Marine. My only experience with it is the fact that they overrate their specifications. A friend hooked one up and I was not impressed with the quality of the sound. If you are going to buy a stereo system start out with quality. You can always add on to a quality system. If you buy something cheap you will end up with great sound playing over cr@ppy sound (or you will end up spending more to rip out the poor quality speakers, receivers, and amps). Buying quality doesn't mean you have spend a fortune.

I'll take your word for the sound. I'm not really an audiophile so I didn't look at it too close. I just remembered seeing it and thought it was a pretty cool concept.

I also agree with you on getting quality, regardless of what the item might be. It's quite often less money in the long run, and almost always less headaches.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was also thinking of a system with a remote RF Remote with display. I installed a alpine system on a friends boat and it worked fairly good but his didn't have the display and he wanted the receiver in the cabin. :504_shrugging: Just don't know if the led display holds up as he kept the remote in the radio box and it was having problems in a year. It was a standard system and not marine.

Man you guys are giving me some neat ideas

On the speakers if I were to put them on the vertical part of the casting platform would it be loud and clear there running or distorted. I have a set of 3 rod holders on each side and could mount the speakers behind them but would have to be flush with the deck and I would make 1/8 inch aluminum cover plates? just a thought..

Yes on the vision. I am short but it would be in the way if I go more than 10 inches below the T-Top cross member.

Keep them coming.

If you have to have the speakers flush you won't be able to use the Alpines. The speaker's grill is built into the speaker. It seems like it would be a pain to fish the wires to the casting platform. You would be able to hear the speakers while running if you bought a nice set (JL, Alpine, etc), but you would not be getting the most out of your system.

I would think your best bet is to mount the speakers on the sides of the console and mount the receiver in the console. It will make wiring easy and you will have full sound throughout the boat.

If you want to put the receiver in the electronics box you can mount the speakers in the electronics box so you don't have to run wires all over the boat. The only downside to that is you won't get any bass out of the speakers.

If you want to put the receiver in the electronics box you can mount the speakers in the electronics box so you don't have to run wires all over the boat. The only downside to that is you won't get any bass out of the speakers.

Depending on the size of your ebox and quality (thickness) of the fiberglass they can help reproduce some nice bass. Only problem is when its open you lose it.

-Svence

I installed the POLY-PLANAR MP3-KIT on my Key West 23WA. The amp is under the console and there is a small input plug and a volume control on the dash. I use a plastic protector case for the Ipod and some Velcro for an easy installation.

The sound is clear,the price is right, and it does not draw much power. It not LOUD, but I can listen while under way, and is more than enough while anchored. No radio, but I don't miss it.

$100 for the kit:

http://www.manventureoutpost.com/marine/in...roducts_id=4163

Depending on the size of your ebox and quality (thickness) of the fiberglass they can help reproduce some nice bass. Only problem is when its open you lose it.

-Svence

I agree. Speakers will sound awesome in some Eboxes. The key is to make sure the speakers are not playing free-air. If air can quickly rush from one side of the speaker to the other you will lose your bass response. If you have a sealed off EBox or you place the speakers facing forward it will sound good. The only problem with facing the speakers forward is that it will be very loud in the front when it sounds normal toward the stern. I really think your best bet is to put the speakers in the console. I hate the thought of cutting a hole in perfectly good fiberglass, so I understand if you don't want to mount them on the console. If that is the case it is a quick and simple install job mounting the system in the Ebox.

• 1 year later...

If I were to mount them behind the rod holders wouldn't the fiberglass gridded in 1 inch squares and 1/4 inch drilled holes and the speaker sealed with clear silicone to the inside fiberglass be the same as a speaker grid.

My thought is if down the road I don't want them there any more it is a heck of a lot easer to just patch the 1/4 inch holes com paired to a 6 inch BIG hole????

I'm in my 50's and like my music but it doesn't have to be earpericing just want to be able to hear it while crusing to that hot spot but mostly while she's on the lift and we are on the dock fishing or working on the boats. I actually thought about those wakeboard

arch speakers but I am already have too much on the T-Top now. Plus I don't want the system to be over $400.

Maybe some of the electronics guys would chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 month later...

If I were to mount them behind the rod holders wouldn't the fiberglass gridded in 1 inch squares and 1/4 inch drilled holes and the speaker sealed with clear silicone to the inside fiberglass be the same as a speaker grid.

My thought is if down the road I don't want them there any more it is a heck of a lot easer to just patch the 1/4 inch holes com paired to a 6 inch BIG hole????

I'm in my 50's and like my music but it doesn't have to be earpericing just want to be able to hear it while crusing to that hot spot but mostly while she's on the lift and we are on the dock fishing or working on the boats. I actually thought about those wakeboard

arch speakers but I am already have too much on the T-Top now. Plus I don't want the system to be over $400.

Maybe some of the electronics guys would chime in it would be greatly appreciated.

I have 4 Memphis Audio speakers hooked to a $60 300 amp. I hooked up my Ipod directly to the amp. I have an Ijet remote that hooks to my Ipod which also receives am/fm. I can control my Ipod from anywhere on the boat up to 150 feet away.

You should see some of the looks I get when I change the volume or songs from my beach chair. My Ipod stays

inside my console safe and dry. The rf remote is about the size of a pack of gum.

Website is here http://www.ijetwireless.com/twowayRemote.htm

O'reely, I think you were referring to the Fusion stereo units. They have gotten a lot of praise and the ones we have looked at are really nice for using an Ipod. One of the boats we are building currently is going to have one I believe.

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205422_250002000_250000000_250002000_250-2-0

Could probably shop around and find it a bit cheaper, was just a quick place to get a link.

Thank you for passing on your knowledge about the audio. I am older and like all types of music as my IPod shows. I will do a mock up cardboard box and go from there . As for the height I think I can come down the 9 inches I will need and with that I will just be installing the stereo and vhf up there along with some switches for spreaders ,fwd.,nav light and florescent console light as the boat will be used a lot at night in the coming years. I just want to make sure it is done right the first time and have plenty of time.

Again thank you and if I can help you all out just e-mail me.