Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trophy Rebuild Phase 3

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White powder coating should give it a great look, but I've always wondered about stain resistance - - think fish blood/guts, greasy handprints, etc. - - and ease of cleaning up such messes on white powder coated surfaces. (Obviously, no first-hand experience here.) Any negative experiences, anybody?

:471_confused_face:

I'm with The Admiral on this one. :605_thumbs_up:

I'd have freaked also. That's the kind of job that I don't want to see in progress on any of my boats; just call me when it's over, show me the end result (hopefully good) and send me the bill.

What's next on the demolition schedule? :471_confused_face:

same here to much for me, call me when its OVER....

Had a couple of air pockets come out, took it to a shop to get the work done, the guy started on it right away so he got his grinder and went to town.. Needless to say i freaked out when i saw how he was grinding the hull, was a little nervous the rest of the day , ok a lot.. Anyways the guy did a fantastic job cant even tell...

Making good progress there king. I love the look of the powdercoat. If done right the powder coat holds up well. The first issue most see with the powdercoat is at the fasteners.

stainless screws and snaps should have a plastic or rubber washer where they contact the powdercoat to help prevent that. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. :1992_beer_cheer:

Making good progress there king. I love the look of the powdercoat. If done right the powder coat holds up well. The first issue most see with the powdercoat is at the fasteners.

stainless screws and snaps should have a plastic or rubber washer where they contact the powdercoat to help prevent that. Good luck and keep us posted on the progress. :1992_beer_cheer:

I read about the fastners issue and will take precautions.

power coating a tee top seems a big production. Ever think about paint? I have had great results on a long trem basis with paint. My current boat's tee top paint has held up prefectly since it's splash in 2000. All of my paint work on aluminum has been on mill finish pipe but process has been (overview) cleaning and etching with chemicals, prime coat with Dupont Vari-prime a self etching primer, epoxy primer for some build, then urethane modified acrylic enamel ( usually Limco 123) as top coat. I have used this a number of times with good results. Only thing, I haven't done anodized with paint. Some research would be needed to paint that. Sand blasting would solve that but you might could eliminate that? Surely power coating anodized would need sand blast too? I must admit that I have never had anything custom power coated but the manufacturer items made of steel that were power coated didn't hold up too good so I sorta formed a negative bias toward it. I guess I like paint because I can do it myself and then I know what I have.