Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Pardon My Ignorance...

OK...I know that they can be found off the NC coast, as I have seen the occasional odd individual, and once, several, when on a dive trip to the John B. Gill. I know that they taste good. :239_fishing: And I know what I have read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahi-mahi

Are they at all common off our coast? Seasonal? How far out? Where do you look for them? Around ledges?

What techniques do you use to catch em? According to this

http://www.ncfisheries.net/recreational/recguide.htm

there is a 10 a day limit, and no size? That is, if they mean Mahi when they say Dolphin...

Any knowledge you care to pass on would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Usually year round, they can be found in the stream...dependin on where you make port, that's a long ride. They've been known to come in as close as 5 miles from the beach. Grass line is usually a good sign if your targeting them. Water temp breaks are also good to look for. They are fun to catch and good table fare.

When they say dolphin in the regs they mean Mahi. They grow very fast will eat anything that doesn't eat them and are fairly easy to catch if they are around. They are a blast on light tackle. I caught one trolling a bird rig for spanish mackeral between Beaufort inlet and AR315. The come in really close to shore in the summertime. You don't have to have sophisticated tackle for them. I have caught them on everything from live bait to ballyhoo and Islander combinations that are as big as they are. Where do you fish out of?

We don't refer to them around here as mahi....this isn't Hawaii.... :rolleyes:

It doesn't keep the restaurants and grocery stores from calling them that. Many hear the word dolphin and think you are talking about Flipper.

Just kidding....call them whatever you want.

If you can't catch a dolphin when you fish offshore, then it is truly a slow day. In SC, you can usually start to catch them in March--the hot bite is usually from mid-late April though late June or early July. Late Summer usually brings the dinks and peanuts, which are from the Spring spawn. I have caught them in as close as 13 miles offshore, but up in NC they come in considerably closer.

They are voracious predators, and will eat just about everything....I have pulled bottle caps, Christmas tree tinsel, pull-tops from vienna sausages, and bits of plasitc out from their stomachs. They also grow extremely fast--if you catch a 30-lb dolphin it can be only a year old. They are also thankfully prolific, reaching sexual maturity in 4-5 months and females can spawn every 2-3 days during season and release as many as 66,000 eggs per spawing event.

If you are targeting dolphin, look for any floating objects....weedlines, trash, tree logs, boards, etc. They will usually be hanging out under such flotsam and will readily eat just about any offering, from trolled and cast baits, to jigs and cut bait. They'll also be hanging around temperature and current breaks. Sometimes it's hard to keep them off your hooks.....especially the dinks like TT1 said.

I have saved many a skunk by catching dolphin....and they are one of my favorite fish to eat as well.

Also i have found out (and tried it) That if you catch a dolphin, leave him in the water, and you can catch all of his friends! If you pull the fish from the water, all the other one's will leave. They stick with each other until the end.

David

Listen to this man . . . he speaks the truth :)

Also i have found out (and tried it) That if you catch a dolphin, leave him in the water, and you can catch all of his friends! If you pull the fish from the water, all the other one's will leave. They stick with each other until the end.

David

This trick works in the Keys as well!! :605_thumbs_up: