Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Looking to get a buffer to wax my boat. Need your help!!

I had posted this on the hull truth and got some good suggestions. I would like to hear from you guys. I own a 2003 21 Bluewater sport fishing boat. I wash her after every use and wax around three times a year. As of late, the gel coat appears to have some slight oxidation. Not so bad that it would chalk up a finger. It just that the finish appears a little hazy. I have researched to death the different types of buffer/polishers. I am a little afraid of the Makita circular buffer and frankly I don't think that I need something that powerful. That leaves me with the random orbital machines. I am looking at the Porter Cable 7424 or the more expensive German made Flex 3401. I will be purchasing a selection of Lake Country pads and see what works best.

What experience have you had with either or both machines? I like the price and size of the Porter Cable but some say that it is a good polisher and don't expect anything more from it. If I need a little more bite will the Porter Cable with a good light compound and a more aggressive pad do the trick or do I bite the bullet and get the Flex?

Regards,

Cabana Dan

Naples, Fl.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The detailers at my marina use the Makita circular buffers when they do my boat and it comes out beautiful every time. I once asked a friend that owns an autobody shop the same question about what to buy, and his advise to me was to have the detailers do it, because if you apply too much pressure you'll damage the gelcoat. He also told me that I would probably be sore for a week from using it. :blink:

I had posted this on the hull truth and got some good suggestions. I would like to hear from you guys. I own a 2003 21 Bluewater sport fishing boat. I wash her after every use and wax around three times a year. As of late, the gel coat appears to have some slight oxidation. Not so bad that it would chalk up a finger. It just that the finish appears a little hazy. I have researched to death the different types of buffer/polishers. I am a little afraid of the Makita circular buffer and frankly I don't think that I need something that powerful. That leaves me with the random orbital machines. I am looking at the Porter Cable 7424 or the more expensive German made Flex 3401. I will be purchasing a selection of Lake Country pads and see what works best.

What experience have you had with either or both machines? I like the price and size of the Porter Cable but some say that it is a good polisher and don't expect anything more from it. If I need a little more bite will the Porter Cable with a good light compound and a more aggressive pad do the trick or do I bite the bullet and get the Flex?

Regards,

Cabana Dan

Naples, Fl.

Sheila got me the 7424 last year. Good buffer, nice solid construction, works well on the boat. A little on the heavy side but that's the flip side of the solid build quality. I like that the side handle is removable or reversible and the adjustable speed. Both options come in handy at times.

Having watched the pros's use a high speed buffer over the years I would strongly recommend an orbital. You will get the shine you want without burning the gel. It only takes one slip with a high speed buffer or tilting it the wrong way and you have problems. If you tilt the buffer it will scratch the gel coat with the center section.

I have the Makita you speak of and have been using it for several years without causing any burns. I will tell you this is not a toy and you can get hurt if you get it cought on a cleat, boweye, swimladder, etc. or drop it with the trigger lock on. With that being said you can master this thing after a few tries - to start just slow the speed down and keep the head moving at all times. On the model I have the center of the pad will not scratch the gel coat.