Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Has not sold a boat in six months

Gus-

Yeah Im sure the hard core tire kickers are part of the problem.......Im probably a mild one in the sense that I am interested in a couple of different boats and I am not necessarily honing in on one specific boat. At the same time I am not being real aggressive about buying , if it happens it happens , if it doesnt it doesnt.

All that said, I was referring to initial callbacks from brokers

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gus-

Yeah Im sure the hard core tire kickers are part of the problem.......Im probably a mild one in the sense that I am interested in a couple of different boats and I am not necessarily honing in on one specific boat. At the same time I am not being real aggressive about buying , if it happens it happens , if it doesnt it doesnt.

All that said, I was referring to initial callbacks from brokers

OK

I understand and I agree with you . . . on initial calls many are not calling back . . . I had that same expereince

My approach was is if I asked for John and he did not return my call, then I called the brokerage firm and asked for someone besides (other than) John

Salesmen are about the same everywhere , Their to busy for YOU unless, YOU know what you want, YOU have found the boat YOU want , YOU have cash or YOUR own financing .

Most of the salesmen I have met don't even know the product their selling let alone how to operate it, so I don't fell real good about dealing with them.

They don't sale anymore they are WAITERS, there waiting for YOU to do everything and that makes buying Factory Direct look real good.

Salesmen are about the same everywhere , Their to busy for YOU unless, YOU know what you want, YOU have found the boat YOU want , YOU have cash or YOUR own financing .

Most of the salesmen I have met don't even know the product their selling let alone how to operate it, so I don't fell real good about dealing with them.

They don't sale anymore they are WAITERS, there waiting for YOU to do everything and that makes buying Factory Direct look real good.

I agree about slaesmen. I am a Real Estate Broker in Miami. You know the market is baaad down here(More than the normal bad). A couple of weeks ago I took a cash buyer out to see some properties. I called 12 agents and only got 8 call-backs. My message to them was that it was a cash buyer and still 4 out of 12 did not return my call. :2215_asleep:

One of the that did in now under contract. :1992_beer_cheer:

I don't get it! :504_shrugging:

Im retired and have downsized my boats. Started looking a year and a half ago for a nice little 25' Pursuit that was listed everywhere at around 40K . Found several that folks were trying to sell and started keeping track of a couple. The prices were steadily reduced. Made some offers, and finally bought one at 1/3 the original asking price. Times are tough, but this is the best time to buy a boat I have seen since 1973. Note that I also sold a very original mint Mako 231 for about 1/2 what I would have 2 years ago. I priced the Mako in line with current market conditions and the first fellow who came bought it, at my asking price. I may have left a grand on the table but actually think we both got lucky. I know of one boat salesman on Florida's west coast I would even consider sending anyone to. He has been at it since the early 70s. Good salesmen in any field are a rare breed indeed and the smart ones are generally the highest paid in their industry.

I have been very tempted to get a newer boat lately because of some of these great deals I've seem. There are great deals to be had fo sure but I am trying to resist the urge and stay where I'm at now boat wise. I have looked around and suprisingly found not so interested salesmen. I would have thought now they would be in a feast or famine mode but I guess not!

Just bought a new 24 bay champ with a f250. I knew more about the boat than the salesman. He also did not seem that worried about making the sale. If I ran my business that way I could not afford a boat and probably out of business. I always thought if I wanted to sell boats I would know everything about the business and the product including the competition. Amazing the lazy loads working at these dealerships.

The ones who aren't worth a spit fall under this description. Don't lump "all salesmen" under it, though. My chosen career is in sales....my bread and butter is in repeat business from a select few customers. So, I'd better know my stuff about what I sell, because if I can't answer a customer's question, he'll go to my competition to get the answer. I've been doing this for over 15 years, so I must be good at it.

While I may agree with your statement to a degree, please don't use such a broad brush to describe "all salesmen".