Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Comment on new rule, Mandatory use of kill lanyard

It would also cause a dangerous situation when you are alone on the boat coming into the dock and you have to step away to grab a pole or line. Motor shuts off and you have no steering or reverse to stop the boat. Also, I am a river boater and a lot of the docks I tie up to have a substantial current to deal with. sometimes upwards of 15 knots! You don't want to shut off there that is for shore!

Rick

Edited by Rickf

My comment:

"More government regulations and rules along with their accompanying fines and penalties for violation and increased taxes to pay for enforcement are unwelcome and unwise in my view.

This proposal along with an expected future push for mandatory life jacket wear for everyone while underway will simply make it an easier decision for me to sell the boat and find a less expensive hobby".

My comment:

"More government regulations and rules along with their accompanying fines and penalties for violation and increased taxes to pay for enforcement are unwelcome and unwise in my view.

This proposal along with an expected future push for mandatory life jacket wear for everyone while underway will simply make it an easier decision for me to sell the boat and find a less expensive hobby".

I'll stick to what I know, and for the Pacific Northwest waters I'd rather see the regulators focus on what kills up here: mandatory PFD when crossing any bar to the ocean and mandatory VHF carriage and monitoring on #16 when crossing any bar to the ocean. Perhaps the captain of the port can now make a local restriction on bars, but this would save lives as opposed to a full employment regulation for Autotether. But, is Autotether publicly held?

I think a lanyard is a good idea. Unlike a seat-belt or motor-cycle helmet, it functions to directly safeguard people outside the operators vehicle. For those single-handed charter operators something like an auto-tether would provide the flexibility they need to shift between helm and passengers.

When I was running my 28' Center Console offshore I would wear the teather. But I like to run fast and would air the boat out quite often so I felt it ws only prudent. The only other time I used it was if I was alone offshore. Then I would tie a piece of cord to it just long enough to allow me to reach the furthest back corner. This way if I went over while gafing a fish the boat would not leave me swimming.

I would think the regulations would allow for no teather when docking, slow speeds or some other function. But then again it is the government!

Edited by Sans Peur

I think we should add governors to the engines so we can't go too fast and maybe file the points of all our hooks so we don't stick ourselves and no bikinis on hotties because that just distracts all us boaters and...................well, you get the idea. While I understand some government regulation/intrusion, please stop trying to save me from myself.