Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

repower advice

You can move the batteries to the console to help offset the added weight of the 4S. Like mentioned, be sure that transom is in good shape before you go dumping 16K at a repower and also be sure you want to keep the boat for a while. You WILL NOT make any money because of a repower.

I did a repower on an old hull. The hull was in very good condition to start out with, I stayed with a 2S because of the weight and the cost. I did all the labor because I had the time and equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Went out to the boat last weekend and looked at the transom, at least as much as the weather would allow. Most of the hatches are frozen shut and I didn’t want to force them. From the outside it looks solid with no cracking in the gelcoat, but I need to get inside and have a closer look.

There is a local marina I have dealt with in the past always with good results. I talked to them last weekend and it sounds like they would welcome the work.

Appreciate your input. I’ll try to keep you posted as I go.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! If I promise to wash my feet and take a breath mint, will someone reply?

Try putting bags of sand on top of the existing engine to replicate the difference in weight. You may be suprised. as stated proceed with caution.

All of the engines on the market now are very good just make sure you have a geed dealer close by.If weight is a problem the Evinrude e-tec and the mercury optimax are both very good engines.

good luck