Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Let's Compare Satellite/Cable/Phone TV Service

So how was the 3D effect? Was it comparable to recent 3D movies in the theater?

They had examples of two movies - Toy Story 3 and the one with the aliens in little plastic balls runnig from the feds (never saw it so don't know the names of the movie).

I only sat there 10 minutes or so (wife was tapping her foot). It wasn't what I expected - more I guess based on the 3D quality of some of the 3D shows at at Universal or MGM. The 3D was depth going away from you rather than flying from the screen into your face or around you. So like a hologram card, the 3D was from the forefront of the scene back in layers to the background. In that it was pretty effective. But there didn't seem to be any movement "out of the TV" itself.

Of course I sure the TV sits on all day and this was on the evening so it may have needed calibration or something.

Edited by Menzies

That makes sense. I kind of wondered about the "coming out of the screen" effect. For what I know (not much) about 3D, it was my assumption that the reason it works in the theater is because the projection beams are already out there in front of the screen in the form of the beam travelling from the projector.

Edited by FishinNutz

That makes sense. I kind of wondered about the "coming out of the screen" effect. For what I know (not much) about 3D, it was my assumption that the reason it works in the theater is because the projection beams are already out there in front of the screen in the form of the beam travelling from the projector.

Never thought about that - and it could be the difference.

I have every channel that DIRECTV offers, all sports packages, all features, HD, couple DVR's (one on the boat), and get free service calls should I ever need one. I also get to upgrage my equipment every 12 months if I want.

I pay zero.

So what's your job at Direct TV? :D

I have every channel that DIRECTV offers, all sports packages, all features, HD, couple DVR's (one on the boat), and get free service calls should I ever need one. I also get to upgrage my equipment every 12 months if I want.

I pay zero.

So what's your job at Direct TV? :D

its a regional position. Interestingly, I really don't watch too much tv. It's on for noise if mrs is home with me otherwise I have music on.

With Verizon FOIS, I am paying 172/mo for something like 400 channels, (which most of the time, only about 3 are worth watching); HD tier, which includes the premium subscription channels (HBO/CM etc in HD); HD-DVD recorder and 2 other STB, FIOS H/S internet w/wireless router, and a fiber-op landline w/50 state free L.D. calling plan. I think it's too much money, and have looked around.

Mediacom can provide the same thing, (they say), but of course it is not fiber-op, and the phone line is IP based; same HD tier and HD-DVD recorder, etc. Their offer is $74.95/mo for the 1st 12 months, then $99/mo for the 2nd 12 mo. This is for all three services. I'm really thinking of going for it. In fact, I had them scheduled to do the install two dif dates, but called to re-sched again, since I hate to screw with something when it works.

I'd really like to cut my bill in half though.

Edited by CaptWill