Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

I'm curious--How Many Have an EPIRB?

I have a EPIRB on my boat.

I see a lot of talk about safety equipment here but the most important one is missing.. the most likely cause of death on a large boat is probably a heart attack. You have about 3 minutes to use a defibrillator. If you are more than 3 minutes from an ambulance or hospital, having a defibrillator on the boat can mean the difference between life and death. If you have a heart attack on the boat and CPR is done correctly to you, you have about a 1-2% chance of surviving. If an defibrillator is used within the first 3 minutes, that goes up to about a 50% chance of survival.

I have an AED in my house, and me, my wife and son are trained to use it. It is portable and I used to bring it on the boat. I now have one implanted in my chest so I don't bring the portable one on the boat (unless I take out someone who I think may be at risk - ).. I had a heart attack a few years ago and am at a high risk for another.

• 1 month later...

I got an ACR PLB today. I have been many times offshore without one, but the older I get the more I think about how crazy it was to be without one. I also have bought a hand held vhf with gps. You never know when a boat's electrical system can short out. The new handhelds have 6 watts of power. That should be enough to reach other boats that are close to you. Also, a flare gun if you fish offshore. The regular flares might not be enough. I guess you can over do it. Better to have it than not have it! Hopefully, I will never use it.