Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Honda gen EU100i, How/where to fix/protect

Hi All,

Lurking at the generator Honda EU1000i.

I saw pictures of pilot houses keeping it on the bow, others at the stern, or even on the roof.

My stresses are:

- CO fumes to the cabin;

- Protection from sea water sprays/rain.

I am thinking to mount it above the outboard on a specific rack (where I currently have the raft) or even making a pedestal on the OB cowling. I can ensure the strength.

Best would be at the stern, but it often happens that winds blows from stern to cabin.

What are your thoughts on the location? Anybody ever made an exhaust extension?

About sea spray (and rain), how would you protect it without getting electric shock, blocking the cooling or choking it with its own fumes?

Optional question: It delivers 8 amps at 12V. Can I connect directly to my batteries or do I need a regulator just as for solar panel? I would actually only need it for the 12V DC.

Thanks for your help

Pierre

Hi All,

Lurking at the generator Honda EU1000i.

I saw pictures of pilot houses keeping it on the bow, others at the stern, or even on the roof.

My stresses are:

- CO fumes to the cabin;

- Protection from sea water sprays/rain.

I am thinking to mount it above the outboard on a specific rack (where I currently have the raft) or even making a pedestal on the OB cowling. I can ensure the strength.

Best would be at the stern, but it often happens that winds blows from stern to cabin.

What are your thoughts on the location? Anybody ever made an exhaust extension?

About sea spray (and rain), how would you protect it without getting electric shock, blocking the cooling or choking it with its own fumes?

Optional question: It delivers 8 amps at 12V. Can I connect directly to my batteries or do I need a regulator just as for solar panel? I would actually only need it for the 12V DC.

Thanks for your help

Pierre

My eu1000 is only brought on board when fishing at night. I have the DC charging part and all you do is hook it up. Like the generator its for emergency or such. This unit is not made for permanent hookup? It sounds like thats what you want to do? Its a great unit . I fish stripers in the rain and breakers at night and its never let me down. Dont really have a cabin to worry about fumes but co2 detectors are cheap? I have a friend that bungees his to his T top once hes fishing but he does not run with it up there only when hes drifting or moving slow. They are very light. I keep mine in my garage at home and have had to use it twice when power goes out. Always full of gas ready to go. I just put it outside garage door ran extesion cord into house and plugged in refrigerator to keep beer cold til they fixed power. Its a great little unit but don ask it to do to much?

Bly, do you mean you leave it running in the rain? It seems there is no rain protection for it. Even the sockets are flush mounted without cover.

Thanks both for the comments.

I do not plan to have it full time onboard. I plan to have it when staying full day at sea or night fishing with some projectors to ensure none tries to board me and grab my belongings.

I do not have a charger. I have never needed it as I have a solar panel to keep my batteries charged.

Get the 2000, we had the 1000, does not power much, the 2000 powers micro, DVD player etc , just my 2 cents !

Thanks Hulihan, however they are both 8 amps DC rated, and It will I think fully fit the bill.

I am very ###### on weight excess (except for my fat butt :) )

Bly, do you mean you leave it running in the rain? It seems there is no rain protection for it. Even the sockets are flush mounted without cover.

Thanks both for the comments.

I do not plan to have it full time onboard. I plan to have it when staying full day at sea or night fishing with some projectors to ensure none tries to board me and grab my belongings.

I do not have a charger. I have never needed it as I have a solar panel to keep my batteries charged.

I run mine in the rain. I would not recommend it. I also tell my kids dont do what I have done in the past. You are right tho on the sockets being unprotected. I have had it shut down in the rain but it did restart and maybe there is a built in ground fault interupter? I just used it the other day in the rain. I had to go out in anold boat yard and cut something where it was to long to run a power cord. Im still here?

I have a Honda 1000 also, I took a milk crate and modified it by adding some foam pipe insulation to the bottom to reduce vibration, and cut away the milk crate to allow access to the pull start, exhaust outlet, and controls. The box sits nicely under the console on my tower and is secured with velcro straps. I've had it running in the rain with no problem. The sound is hardly noticeable when it's running up there.

We camp on our 230 a lot and when researching portable generators and what I needed it for, we found the best value and power/weight trade off was the e2000 (49lbs). In the summer we bring a windowshaker AC unit onboard and it will run this unit for 7 hours on 1 gal of gas.

When we're running the generator overnight I set it right next to the outboard and point the exhaust aft. Since we're usually on the hook, the boat is facing into the wind and the fumes usually blow away. We do have a CO2 detector in the cabin.

I have had mine get a little wet (light rain) but haven't had the scenario mentioned above yet. You can purchase a cover from Honda pretty cheap for protecting it when not in use. Hadn't thought about making a cover for protecting while in use. - Good idea.