Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Yamaha 4 stroke 225 oil

Guest edgewater225

I have used Star brite FCW four-stroke synthetic blend in my Yamaha 225 ever since I got it new in 2005. We blend it at our plant, using a custom additive package that makes it at least as good as any OEM oil, and better than most.

We also make all the West Marine motor oils - 2 and 4-stroke - as well as several other private-label brands. (in the same way that somebody like us makes Yamalube and Quicksilver for those guys).

Bill

Hi all, Our engines have ended under the 5 year Yamaha warrenty and we were wondering if anybody has tried any other brands of oil other than Yamalube. Any help you could provide would be great. Thanks in advance

Jules

Guest edgewater225

I agree with PAt 100% in not using an automotive oil, but not all marine oils are equal, even if they do have the TC-W3 or FC-W logo displayed. There is a minimum standard that must be attained in order to be allowed to display the logos & have NMMA approval (NMMA is the organization that owns the TC-W3 & FC-W logos and sets the standards for these oils). However, while some oils just manage to meet the standards, others go way beyond it. That being said, you can easily pay too much for an oil. Many aftermarket oils are at least as good as any OEM oil, yet priced more affordably. However, some of the bargain brands are really not all that great. Panel Coker tests are helpful when comparing and choosing TC-W3 oils. Do some research and find one that works for you & your engine.

Any of the Marine oils will do the job. They have additives designed for motors that live in the marine environment. Stay away from oil you would put in your car.

An attractive thing about switching over to 4s vs DI 2s was that I could bust out of the snake oil syndrome. Me, I am going with an API name brand oil that is reasonably priced. My DF 300's ,according to the owners manual, call for API or NMMA FC-W. Yamaha has always tried to push Yamalube on it's customers. Lately I have been using Rotella. Seems it has been around marine engines for awhile?