Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Replacement Tires

I have a 2006 Tundra with the factory Bridgestones and they are ready to be replaced after only 32,000 miles. They have not worn well despite balancing/rotating every 5,000 miles. 90% of my driving is hwy/city streets. I do tow an 18' CC on the weekends. I am looking at Firestone Destination LE's, Yokohama Geolander HT-S and the General Grabber HTS. Right now I am leaning towards the general as it has been getting great reviews and I have found a good "out the door" price.

Does anyone have any first-hand knowledge of any of these tires that would be willing to share?

Thanks!

Well, I can't help you with the choices you listed because I've never used any of them. I just replaced the OEM BF Goodrich tires on my Dodge 2500 with a full set of Michelins. Like you, most of my driving is city/suburban, with perhaps 5% towing a 12K pound fifth-wheel and an 18' CC. The BFG's had about 54,000 miles on them, and still had a fair amount of tread but the sidewalls were beginning to show some deterioration, and I had taken out a chunk of one sidewall when I introduced myself to a curb while making a tight U-turn. :1898_:

Over the years, I've been very partial to Michelin. We put them on my wife's former minivan to replace the OEMs at about 50K miles, and they still looked like new and still had plenty of tread when she recently got rid of the van at almost 119K miles.

Yes, they are more expensive than most other brands, but I don't believe in cutting corners when it comes to tires and other safety equipment.

I know that doesn't directly answer your question, but just thought I'd throw in a little food for thought.

I put new Yokohama Geolander HT-S on my Chevy D-Max 2500 a couple of years ago. They are a nice quiet ride and I am happy with the way the tires ware. I do rotate them every 5K. They grip nicely on the ramp. Normally I do not need to use 4 wheel drive.

Edited by MrPat

I have Uniroyal Laredos on my Chevy 2500HD. Some hauling and towing, but I am not pushing the capabilities of the truck or tires.

I seem to be getting 75 or 80K miles off a set of tires. I am very happy with them. They were great last winter with all the snow we got.

Don’t know if that answers your question or not. Good luck.

My dealer puts Sumitomo HTR sports on my 2006 Tundra. Of course, I get free tires from the dealer. Anyway, they seem to be good tires. My Tundra does seem to chew through tires though. I'm on my 5th set of tires after 106K miles. I had generals when I bought the truck and barely got 25K out of them. They put on one more set and then switched me to the Sumitomo's. I've had good luck with Nitto's, but they were a sport tire on the Cayenne.

Man, my dealer doesn't do anything for free, you must have a better dealer than me. If I got free tires I might be less concerned about what I put on but, you obviously have a good thing going. Buying tires shouldn't be so hard.

Thanks for the input.

Look at the rating on the tires. They are stamped on every tire sold in the U.S. Find a tire where Traction = A, Temperature = B and Treadwear is 420+ and you'll have a good tire. Nothing against any name brand but the numbers stamped on the tires are a pretty good indicator of the quality of the tire. I've got a set of B.F. Goodrich (A,B,500) on my truck that have 60,000+ miles on them and are still in good shape. I think I paid less than $500 for a set of four from Sams balanced and mounted.

Back when I lived in Montana, all I did was call Les Schwab and they'd send a truck out with the replacement tires for my truck. No standing around in the showroom bs'ing with the sales help. No dickering about the price. For my old Dodge V10 which ate tires every 30,000 miles up there, I switched to Kelly CSR's and when I made the trip to Panama they were in good shape. Now have 62,540 miles on them last week and the truck has 241,000 miles on it and still going strong pulling my Shamrock. The commercial trucks all had been switched from Toyos to Kelly KHLA's and were still on the rig - two years later.

• 1 month later...