Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Are Pro Sport ProKats good boats?

We were at the marina today, after taking a little sixty mile run in the Contender, and noticed a boat we have not seen before, siting on a trailer with a For Sale sign on it.

It's a Pro Sport ProKat 2860 Walkaround. We have long been interested in an 'over nighter' for these shallow waters, and in looking up the specs I see that this boat has a draft of 13 inches.

I don't know the boat, at all. I am used to seeing World Cats here, there are a lot of them, and a few Glacier Bays and some Twin Vees....

Anyone know anything about the ProKat 2860? Visually, it looked good. Twin Yammie 200s on it.

Gringo, here is the scoop. The layout is awesome, very well thought out. The ride is exceptional. Some are better than others and some have no issues at all. The bigger they get it seems the worse the outcome.

In my experience. (author of the Wespro video) and other sundry inspections. Hull joints, fuel tank installs, poor hatch gutters and drainage, poor wiring are the deterring factors. But all boats are different. I surveyed a World Cat today that looked like it was rigged by a third grade home economics class. So like all things there is the good and the bad. I have been quoted as saying that if a real builder ever took over the prokat molds they would have an awesome boat.

BTW Gringo I gave a colleague your contact. He is delivering a boat to the DR and needs some local knowledge for fueling.

Free survey for Gringo, get me there, feed, beer and fish me. That ain't exactly free, sorry.

Neighbor had a 27? open. A huge boat, great egress for diving with the stern ladder. The boat rode great in chop. The hull however would slap underneath the center line badly and essentially was very annoying. A constant shudder if not running. Drove him craazy. He came from mono hulls. Had many stress cracks, and the hardware was begining to rust. Boat was purchased at auction with 30 hrs and six mos old. A value, but not a top tier. He is now in a 31 Jupiter.

Gringo,

I own a CC 2860TE, 2002. The factory shut down last fall to the best of my knowlege. The hardware is SS and the quality is somewhere between Twinvee and Worldcat. For the money you can buy one of these boats for a steal. Take a ride if you like cats. Hull slap is an issue with all cats at rest, even Worldcat. I have not experienced the shudder issue but I did ride on a friends older Worldcat that had a serious shudder issue every time it landed off a wave. Compared to a monohull, the boats do ride well. The hull is planing and is effecient in chop and waves up to about 3', beyond that, nothing really rides well at speed in my opinion. I get about 1.6 mpg on long trips to the stream and back with the 225f yams running in moderate seas. My guess is that you can buy that boat really cheap right now and not have to worry about resale. Don't buy it unless you can test it in the conditions you plan to use it and have it surveyed. Cracks have not been an issue for me. The WA version should be stiffer overall structurally that the CC. Make sure you have the surveyor check the bond between the lower hull and the upper deck.

Luck

Gringo,

I own a CC 2860TE, 2002. The factory shut down last fall to the best of my knowlege. The hardware is SS and the quality is somewhere between Twinvee and Worldcat. For the money you can buy one of these boats for a steal. Take a ride if you like cats. Hull slap is an issue with all cats at rest, even Worldcat. I have not experienced the shudder issue but I did ride on a friends older Worldcat that had a serious shudder issue every time it landed off a wave. Compared to a monohull, the boats do ride well. The hull is planing and is effecient in chop and waves up to about 3', beyond that, nothing really rides well at speed in my opinion. I get about 1.6 mpg on long trips to the stream and back with the 225f yams running in moderate seas. My guess is that you can buy that boat really cheap right now and not have to worry about resale. Don't buy it unless you can test it in the conditions you plan to use it and have it surveyed. Cracks have not been an issue for me. The WA version should be stiffer overall structurally that the CC. Make sure you have the surveyor check the bond between the lower hull and the upper deck.

Luck

Thanks to all of you for the input. There wouldn't be any survey, as I would have to fly a surveyor in from somewhere etc. I don't know the year of this one,but did find out the owner is asking $ 75K for it. Probably a bit more than we would want to spend for just having a boat we could sleep on. We will probably keep the Contender and keep our eye out for that 34 foot Gemini sailboat deal. Same money.

Gringo......Rag bagger.....That just don't sound right.

Gringo ....Has Twin outboards ......Now that sounds cool.

Gringo hit a reef in his Alloy boat and spilled his drink but the boat is OK , that sounds cool.

BUT, gringo is going sailing.........................

Really , do what ya gotta do Brother we'll still respect ya in the morning.

Gringo......Rag bagger.....That just don't sound right.

Gringo ....Has Twin outboards ......Now that sounds cool.

Gringo hit a reef in his Alloy boat and spilled his drink but the boat is OK , that sounds cool.

BUT, gringo is going sailing.........................

Really , do what ya gotta do Brother we'll still respect ya in the morning.

Ha, we have NO plans to get rid of the Contender. It rocks offshore. We were out all afternoon again today. But would be nice to have something to spend a weekend on.

And we will still need the flats boats. Thats a different thing entirely.