Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Trailer Tires

I too had to put on new tires this past year. I had trailmasters on the trailer and didn't like the wear pattern. There was a two year old denman as a spare. My local Tires Plus dealer found my size 215-75 r14 and had it for me that same day. The 215 is a harder size to find in a 14" tire. Call ahead!

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had great luck with LoadStar tires so far. I replaced the stock Loadstars after 3 years because I discovered one tire had a 1/4" lag screw right through the tread. Apparently it was there for a while because the head was nearly worn off. I moved the good old tire to spare tire duty and put on a new pair of LoadStars. They're still in great shape 1.5 years later.

I just put on a set of 4 marathons in Feb. 1000 miles, so far so good.

I did a lot of reading on THaT other forum. Each brand seemed to have its fans and detractors, but out of all of the posts, marathons seemed to get the most consistent positives.

They cost a little more, but hell its only money.

Time to replace the Goodyear marithons on my trailer. I remember reading about some issues with the late generation of Goodyear marithons. Looking for some input on what seems to be holding up for you folks!

Thanks

Replaced four plus the spare with Towmasters. Went to my local Goodyear store. Manager recommended the towmasters over the marathons. That was three years ago and have not had any problems. Always keep proper inflation.

Replaced four plus the spare with Towmasters. Went to my local Goodyear store. Manager recommended the towmasters over the marathons. That was three years ago and have not had any problems. Always keep proper inflation.

No doubt...proper inflation muy importante!!...I've been runnin' Marathons for years now...had one sidewall issue which dealer resolved fairly...found that on inspection which is also important...I doubt if I'll change...

I looked up one day SEVERAL years back and counted the tires we have...4 cars, 4 bicycles, garden cart, 2 go carts, utility wagon and tandem axle boat trailer (add all the spares where appropriate)...I went out that day and bought a compressor and my life got INSTANTLY easier... :605_thumbs_up:

... most times the tire is overloaded.

I've had a total of 4 trailers (only one brand-new) and when I've replaced the tires I've gone up one grade on the weight classification. It's only a few dollars more and (imo) tires are the least tolerant part of the weight rating on a trailer.

...And that's all I think I know about that! Good luck!

I have pic's of the last Marathon that went on I-40 in a thunderstorm, (can't figure out how to post them though). All of the marathons are gone and I am running Loadstars now and I too step one weight classification.

Check the date on them , had four loadstars put on a utility trailer I use for work last summer and one tire was dated from 2001 I would not let them put it on.

Butch