Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

cat hull VS deep V

starting to look at options for the next ride, although its probably a little ways away, i'd like to start researching and gathering considerations.

Usage: fishing south florida and bahamas on weekends just about all year long

though i've not sea trialed, i'm impressed with the layout of the world cat 33' and i've heard alot of good things. other consideration initially was a 33 contender ( though i wasnt impressed with the depositions the president gave recently)

so far, i'm leaning towards the cat, i believe its substantially more fuel efficient which is a big deal to me, plus the huge beam i like alot.

any thoughts?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never been on the Contender but I do have a World Cat. Mine is a 250DC and I love it. If you go to the world cat forums, look up a guy that posts frequently named Capt Jim. He runs The Beast Charters and runs a 33TE. He will be able to give you lots of info on that boat. I think he is on his second, maybe thrid one. He loves it.

I know you will have more deck space on the WC since it is a wider boat right up to the bow pulpit since the deck is square not narrowing as you move forward. It handles rough water better than the same size mono hull and is overall a more stable platform.

Are you looking new or used?

If new, I would suggest the 32 World Cat over their 33. Even though the 33 is a great boat, the 32 should be a fairly major improvement, mostly due to the fact they are using infusion to build this hull so it should be lighter and more fuel efficient. Also in the new world, if you have the coin, the Freeman 33 is an absolutely beautiful boat and would be at the top of my list of the large cats nowadays.

If used, then the 33 World Cat is probably your best bet and there are some good deals on well equipped boats floating around.

We are a cat builder in North Carolina, but currently only offer a 19' model, so we are not in the arena you are searching at the moment. However, I could always be talked into designing and building a custom cold-molded large cat for a very reasonable figure if the owner didn't mind us pulling a mold off the boat before delivery. :1121_wink:

Do more than sea trial both styles. I would charter both to get some, pardon the pun, reel world experience on both. I have fished smaller cats and still like the mono hull ride better. Yes, the cats ride softer into a big head sea, but I did not like their ride in a quartering sea. I'm sure these big cats you are considering ride better than the mid size boats I fished. Bigger is always better. Enjoy the hunt and choose the boat that best suits your needs.

I think you have to test ride each to see which suits you the best.I have always liked the looks of the Contender but have never been impressed with their management when it come to consumer relations.Good luck on your choice !

They are no more fuel efficient than a v hull of equall size and power.

It's gets interesting when one starts comparing just what is "equal" size when comparing the two. Equal size? but based on what criteria, length? weight? physical looking size? or ??

Edited by Kerry