Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

GPS Fishing Chip Recommendation For NC

My Lowrance GlobalMap 3300C with standard software doesn't zoom very tight. I was advised by a friend that I probably need a SD Card (Chip) with a high detail map (w/waypoints) of our coast. Any chip recommendations for our coast?

Hey Brian, Lowrance shows an update available...not sure if that will do anything for the map levels or not: http://www.lowrance.com/en/Products/Legacy...oftware-Update/

To answer your question about chips: I have the Lowrance Navionics chip in mine (different model) and it definitely shows a bunch more detail. I also bought the "hotspots" fishing chip, which is really just a HUGE collection of waypoints that you can upload into your point list. Once the hotspots chip is uploaded, you can remove it, because the points are in there. The Navionics chip needs to stay in the machine while navigating....once you remove it, everything goes back to normal.

BTW- Is your daughter playing fall softball?

Thanks Robbie, but I pulled $5 worth of brew out of your fridge last week - we're good.

Rich,

I pulled down the Lowrance update last year with no appreciable difference. I reviewed the Navionics Chip on the Lowrance website this morning, nice but it's a bit pricey. I see Lowrance also has NauticPath USA, which provides good detail and may provide to zoom capability I'm seeking. NauticPath is half the price of Navionics. West Marine carries the product, so I'll head over there at lunch for a demo. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

My daughter is definitely playing softball this fall. I know some of the girls have been contacted by their coach. We did not receive our call yet.

I'm heading down to the coast this weekend to let the exterminator in the house and, weather permitting, install a new VHF on the boat. That radio better work !!

Thanks again,

Thanks Robbie, but I pulled $5 worth of brew out of your fridge last week - we're good.

Rich,

I pulled down the Lowrance update last year with no appreciable difference. I reviewed the Navionics Chip on the Lowrance website this morning, nice but it's a bit pricey. I see Lowrance also has NauticPath USA, which provides good detail and may provide to zoom capability I'm seeking. NauticPath is half the price of Navionics. West Marine carries the product, so I'll head over there at lunch for a demo. Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

My daughter is definitely playing softball this fall. I know some of the girls have been contacted by their coach. We did not receive our call yet.

I'm heading down to the coast this weekend to let the exterminator in the house and, weather permitting, install a new VHF on the boat. That radio better work !!

Thanks again,

I said the wrong thing- It's nautic path that I have....I was trying to remember the name, so I pulled up Lowrance's site, saw navionics, and went "that's it" at any rate, I did see a difference w/ it.

We got called Monday by Morgan's fall coach-she's on Curtis Schmidt's team.

I believe Lowrance takes the Navionics SD card. When you buy a new chart card from Navionics they give you a fishing chart for free. The fishing chart only shows detail for fishing such as edges or canyons. No bouy info.

You probably should update your units software as well.