Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

RDU....

Weighing some options right now, and among them would be a move to the RDU area. Would likely rent a house, not buy. Looking for information from any members that live in that area about the good/bad/ugly. Keeping the boat of course. Family with 2 little kids, so high quality schools are a must. We run a home retail business, so living in the 'burbs is going to be best for business.

Right now, Cary/Apex/Morrisville is looking real good. I've visited in that area a few times and loved it.

Move wouldn't be overnight, we need to save up money and sell our house here.

I used to live in Apex and even graduated high school there but that was back in 84. I am now about 45 minutes west of there but my daughter lived in Morrisville and she just graduated from Green Hope High School. I think one of the best high schools there.

Not sure of the ages of your children, I think most if not all of the elementary/middle schools are in the year round system. It has advantages and disadvantages. When they get in high school, they redistrict the schools alot. This means one year they could go to X high school and they redistrict, meaning assigning to Y high school, even though you may live two miles from X high school. My ex moved twice to keep our daughter at Green Hope High School.

Morrisville area is now the up and coming area. Alot of sub divisions out in the country with shopping centers going up at just about every main intersection

Cary has grown so much and it is a very overcrowded small town that is expanding in all directions.

Apex is still a small town but it is starting to grow on the outskirts. If I had to move back that way, thats where I would want to be at. Jordan Lake in about 10 minutes from the West Side of Apex and the same for Sharon Harris Lake on the South Side.

Thats my short version and as hotspot said, alot of others should chime in. I have a good friend in Apex that is a Realtor. She would be more then happy to help you out finding a rental or sending you any info you need.

Edited by cablemaker

Cool thanks for the scoop :-)

If we decide to go that route, I'll defintely have more questions.

My dad actually threw out the Morrisville thing, too. We'll defintely look in that whole area.

Redistricting sounds like a major PITA.

How are the private schools in the area? If we can save enough money by moving there, we'll go the private route anyways.

Did I mention, I hate northern VA?

Biased opinion here.

I've lived here my whole life and love the area. It has REALLY grown over the last 20 years. I do not have kids yet so I don't know much about the school system. There are a lot of good schools here and as cablemaker mentioned, they are constantly shifting kids around. If you are looking at Apex, check out Holly Springs too. When I was a kid, Holly Springs was nothing. It is growing at an incredible rate now. There are a lot of new schools going up in that area. Let us know if you have any other questions. Good Luck!

I remember when there was a just a gas station at Holly Springs. We used to live in Dutchman Downs, lol, Monte Kiffen used to be our neighbor, till NC State axed him. I have not been through there in a long time so I can only imagine what it is now.,

The only private school I am familiar with is Cary Christian Academy. I think thats the right name. My niece used to go there years ago.......

Fellow Dutchman Downs person here. My parents driveway comes out on holly springs road though. (through the woods behind netherlands and Tulip Circle. Burbs will have possible reassignments, but then again, that's why our schools system is so good. It was written up in the Wall Street Journal about how we have equalized the schools so you don't have one crappy and one awesome. Then again, people are screaming about the busing, so it may change if enough people on the School board give up the fight.

Edited by Andy