Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Pitot Tube Location

I am in the process of redoing my console (adding and relocating gauges) and am putting in a speedometer. My question is where to install the pitot tube on the transom. I have a depth/fishfinder and the transducer is on one side of the transom with the speedwheel on the other side (see pics)Can anyone out there tell me where I can put the pitot tube where it will work properly?

ThanksTransom1.jpg

If maintained the paddlewheel sender will provide more accurate STW data than a pitot and is not going to clog or potentially spray (salt?) water on your dash electricals (not uncommon ). I suggest you reconsider adding the pitot. They rarely work well.

Paddlewheel or ultrasonic supplied Speed Thru Water data can be just as helpful as GPS or Loran Speed Over Ground so it's nice to have both. They are just 2 very different boat speed concepts using different points of reference. The difference between their readings of course give wind and current influence for those of us who are interested in that.

Oh sure, now ya'll tell me. Seriously though, I got a brand new Faria speedo that matches all of my other gauges for almost nothing. As I am redoing my console, it looks better with the speedo than without it. I guess you could say that it is mainly there for aesthetic reasons. I would continue to rely on my fishfinder but would like for it to at least work.

Lots of motors have a speed sensor hole in the lower unit and tubed up the lower housing. If it's there, just continue tuning to the speedometer. Note that this is a pretty worthless device now with GPS on almost all boats, which provides very accurate speed data w/o anything in the water. My previous boat had a nylon flip up pitot sensor ... you want it mounted in clean water, away from other disturbances, although not very critical, since the accuracy stinks anyway.