Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Diminishing Returns

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the motor is reliable than keep it and run it til it dies. If you use that as your reasoning to buy a newer more powerful engine? Then guaranteed it will never die. thats lifes rule! I now own a 2005 F225 4 stroke on the back of my $50.00 60s formula 233 project boat. The motor is worth what a f225 is worth and the boat is probably worth a little over $50 dollars, even tho I put a lot of labor and material into it?Thats boating and I live for it and a little more.

I had a 225 Johnny and it was awesome. The only reason I would change motors is if you do a lot of trolling. The motor is fine but I would be gagging on the exhaust fumes to the point I would get sick. If you don't troll, just keep changing plugs, filters,lower unit oil and an occassional water pump/thrmostat job. That Johnny is probably more reliable than any new injected motor. Just save your pennies so if it dies at 10,000 hours you have the cash to repower, skip the rebuild.

BTW, I now have twin Yamaha four stokes and boy they are quiet and clean and efficient. So if that is a big deal to you skip all the above.

The only question you need to answer is "Can I afford a new motor". If you can, go for it. I have found in my years of boating, that I can justify anything I want to do, if I want to do it bad enough. I do know from personal experience, that no motor lasts forever. If you are getting near 2500 hrs. you are on borrowed time. I don't know anyone with a modern four stroke or dfi that would go back to carbs. They just start so much easier and run so smooth and quiet.

I was in the same 'boat' (no pun intended). 1992 cat with 1992 175 Merc.

Strong motor with low hours but I hated the exhaust smell while trolling, followed by noise, and then MPG.

I bought a used 2007 Suzukee 150 four stroke and love both the boat and the motor combination. MPG has doubled and the silence at idling/trolling is a true joy. No regrets after six months and find myself using the boat much more, and with more peace of mind when venturing out.

A good four-stroke should last many many years, so you need only replace your boat on the next go-around.

My two cents and way over-priced :1992_beer_cheer: