Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Hiking NC

Hey, I would like to start hiking some....never done it, but do camp a lot.

Probably going to start small....Pisgah and the like, but ultimately, I would like to actually hike up a mountain and set up camp off the beaten path (not a campsite, if that is possible).

Just looking for 3 day, 2 night type stuff.

Anybody do much of this? Any recommendations?

I used to live up on the other side of Asheville.

One of the best places to start out, would be a place called GraveYard Fields. Good parking area and plenty of trails to start out on. People do camp around the water there, but plenty of spots off the trails.

Coming in on the parkway, you go past The Pisgah Inn, cross over Hwy 276, go past Devils Courthouse and its on the right side. Cant miss it.

Need any other info, just shout.

If ya want to set up in a primitive little campground, that is just off the main road (that you can take up to the Parkway, by lots of waterfalls), look at area called Sunburst (about 5 -10 minutes from Lake Logan/Bethel area). Sits about 50 yards or so from the river but there is a very deep hole by the bridge. Lot of trout in it and a great place to freeze ya toes off while still being middle of summer. Trails galore all around this area.

I used to live about 5 miles from this place.........

Used to do a bunch of backpacking, Outward Bound, all of that stuff when I was younger. The Graveyard fields mentioned above and the Shining Rock wilderness around Asheville are very nice...also consider Linville Gorge. Shining Rock to Cold Mountain and back is a real good weekend trip and off the beaten path.

Yep, Cold Mountain, based on that movie, is where I lived, basically on the lower side of it. Sure was pretty up there, but would be snowing at the house, when it was raining 10 miles down on the main road.

If you go down hwy 276 towards Brevard, there are numerous trails as well. Can take a right and head toward the fish hatchery. Thats a site to see in itself, park and take off. Plenty of small campsites off the beaten trail.

Dont forget to go down sliding rock a time or two.

It is all coming together nicely

-Primus Tecnotrail 2 person set came in last night...

-Sleeping bags (some decent 20 degree rated stuff) are on the way

-another pack is on order....A Millet something or other...(just found out I can order Gregory packs dirt cheap....too little, too late)

-Shoes have been ordered.....Columbia something or other waterproof/breathable on the low, low

Have some gear, but might need to procure some more stuff that will pack easily.

What do most of y'all take to eat when doing a small trek? I've seen the MountainHouse freeze dried stuff and have heard decent stuff about it, but not sure I need to go that "extreme"