Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Launching out of Morehead

Couple questions,

We found a rental off Bridges in Morehead. Will be doing some family fishing and cruising in the sound, and maybe run offshore weather permitting one day. Where should I launch out of Morehead? Boat is a 23' WA.

Second, where should I get bait in Morehead?

If I run offshore, I'd like to get some prerigged 'hoos. I'll order off the internet if I need to, but would like to support local shops if I can.

Jason- alot of people launch out of the wildlife ramp....personally, I like Anchorage Marina on Atlantic beach (right across the bridge).....I'd rather pay the $10 there than deal w/ the crowd. The only downside is that parking is limited at Anchorage, so you usually need to unhook your trailer.....again-worth it to me. They are pretty reasonable if you want to rent a slip also, but they don't take reservations-it's first-come, first-served (I've gotten a slip every time I wanted one, though)

Gotta agree with Rich. I use Anchorage every time I am down. Less headaches, fuel prices are the best/no ethynol and the channel is very well marked to the waterway.

For Bait and Tackle, I use Freemans. They are across the bridge towards Atlantic Beach. They are on the left before the light @ Fort Macon Rd. They should have anything you need. If the owner is there, tell him Jim from the wire/cable company called CCI sent ya. Good people in there........

I haven't been to Freeman 's...I'll have to check that one out-I've been buying my bait at Anchorage.

Also-If you want live bait (and don't want to or know how to catch it) , there's a guy with a boat full of bait tanks that floats around the no-wake zone that sells it......maybe someone else knows his name & what channel he monitors (?)

Agree with you guys on Anchorage and Freemans.

Best guy to buy live bait from is Sonny with Capt. Stacy. He usually sells bait early in the morning on the west side of the no wake zone in a blue boat. I'm not sure what you would call the style of the boat though. All I can tell you is that it is blue, has a bimini top over the wheel, and usually has 3 or 4 dogs on board. If you get out a little late, he will be at the fishing center, not on the boat. Fishing center is a couple of minutes away from Anchorage by boat.

Freeman's is a great shop. I buy almost all my stuff there. They are very knowlegeable and will be happy to answer your questions. They would probably show you how to rig your own hoos if they have time. There are 2 live bait boats that hang out most mornings in the turning basin. Captain Stacy and EJW. You should be able to get either of them on 16 or 68. When are you going to be down? I'm sure that one of the members here would be willing to help you with rigging baits. I have started using the West Beaufort access ramps they have just been re-built and are very nice and have quite a bit of parking. You need to get bait before you get there because there isn't much of anyplace in Beaufort to buy bait.

Good Luck and Have Fun!!

I have been keeping my boat at Anchorage for over 25 years. Great bunch of people there and very reasonable prices. Gas does not have ethanol and if you pay CASH after you pump the gas, they give you a .10/ gal refund. Freemans (more inshore) and Joe Shute should have what you need. Good fishing.

I have been keeping my boat at Anchorage for over 25 years. Great bunch of people there and very reasonable prices. Gas does not have ethanol and if you pay CASH after you pump the gas, they give you a .10/ gal refund. Freemans (more inshore) and Joe Shute should have what you need. Good fishing.

They also don't rape you on gas prices like some marinas do....This last weekend it was $2.99 (without the $.10 refund) which was $.40-50 above gas station prices. Alot of marinas are much higher.

Jason- alot of people launch out of the wildlife ramp....personally, I like Anchorage Marina on Atlantic beach (right across the bridge).....I'd rather pay the $10 there than deal w/ the crowd. The only downside is that parking is limited at Anchorage, so you usually need to unhook your trailer.....again-worth it to me. They are pretty reasonable if you want to rent a slip also, but they don't take reservations-it's first-come, first-served (I've gotten a slip every time I wanted one, though)

Okay cool. Actually one of the days, if I go offshore, the wife will want the car so separating it from the trailer is fine by me :-)

The place we're renting has enough parking, so I'm leaving her on the trailer.

It's 4th of july weekend, I think we'll be there the 1st-6th. Hoping to spend friday with the family on the boat, might try to get offshore thursday the 2nd and sunday the 5th.