Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

premix through a racor filter

I am in the process of going over my brand new (ok new to me) 1993 Steigercraft . yamaha 150 was converted to premix by the previous owner, due to a hole in his oil line, and on the advice of his mechanic.

Is there any downside to running the premix through the Racor Filter?

Also, i will be messing with the idea of re installing the tank. I have the oil tank in the boat, but I have been told there is a resevoir tank in the engine (yamaha 150) that has been removed. Should I try and reinstall the oil delivery system?

Edit..... Damn W that might be the slickest image attachment tool I have ever seen

post-622-1244837890.jpg

post-622-1244837904.jpg

Well, you could continue to premix. Everything I have heard and my own personal experience has shown the Yamaha oil injection system to be one of the best. I have seen those parts for sale here on craigslist. Good luck! That 2 stroke 150 continues to be one of their finest motors.

If the only thing wrong with the Yam oil injection was a busted line than I would repair/replace the line and get the system back on line. Yam's system was, still is, one of the most dependable out there. You will save an incredible amount of oil and your motor will appreciate the cleaner, more efficient combustion burn.

If you are concerned about botching the oil hook up, you can use the premix and the oil injection at the same time. The worst that can happen is the spark plugs will carbon up faster over time and the enginer will smoke a lot more. Once you know the oil hook up is working, start filling the tank with straight gasoline. Clean you plugs after a while.