Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Waxing a fiberglass boat below the waterline?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A waxed bottom actually creates more drag by increasing the "seal" between the boat and the water (think suction cups on a smooth vs rough surface.) Hence the stepped hulls that introduce air to create turbulance and separate the hull from the water. That being said, I wax the bottom of my 23 Sea Hunt because clean up is more important than .2 mph on a fishing boat. Also note that if you take the effort to wax the bottom, and then clean it with an acid hull cleaner, you've probably wasted your wax.

A waxed bottom actually creates more drag by increasing the "seal" between the boat and the water (think suction cups on a smooth vs rough surface.) Hence the stepped hulls that introduce air to create turbulance and separate the hull from the water. That being said, I wax the bottom of my 23 Sea Hunt because clean up is more important than .2 mph on a fishing boat. Also note that if you take the effort to wax the bottom, and then clean it with an acid hull cleaner, you've probably wasted your wax.

Good Post..

I, as well as my partner who details 200-250 boats a year agree with this statement. I waxed the bottom of both my CC as well as my 43 Nortech. The speed difference is negligable..but the clean up is much easier. We use a polimer polish..not a carnuba based product.

http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/L...roducts-c2.html Leverage Polish.

post-3244-1244983672_thumb.jpg

Good Post..

I, as well as my partner who details 200-250 boats a year agree with this statement. I waxed the bottom of both my CC as well as my 43 Nortech. The speed difference is negligable..but the clean up is much easier. We use a polimer polish..not a carnuba based product.

http://www.topnotchperformancemarine.com/L...roducts-c2.html Leverage Polish.

Ditto. Thanks for the info.

Sounds like the bottom line is for the average boater who is not racing, go ahead and wax. I will next time.

:605_thumbs_up:

Waxing does slow you down, but not by much. The benefit of making the hull easier to clean far outweighs the slight speed loss.

Racing boats actually wet sand the running surfaces.

For you fiberglass experts out there, I found out from another source that has done fiberglass work for Fountain Boats, that you never wax below the water line. This causes increased build up when in salt water. Another person told me that the "stuff" in salt water actually gets between the wax and gel coat and will stain or discolor the gel coat. Is this true?

For you fiberglass experts out there, I found out from another source that has done fiberglass work for Fountain Boats, that you never wax below the water line. This causes increased build up when in salt water. Another person told me that the "stuff" in salt water actually gets between the wax and gel coat and will stain or discolor the gel coat. Is this true?

Use a teflon or polymer-based polish, NOT regular wax, and the abovementioned problem will not be a problem.

Your boat will be MUCH faster with teflon on the bottom than it will with slime and barnacles and other growth!

Good post, that is exactly why i wax the bottom of my hull too, even though i hate every second of it.

Then i just wash it after i use it with one of those boat wash/wax soaps and everything cleans up real easy.