Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Console Redo (Black Starboard)

I want to redo the dash on my console. The previous owner's setup leaves something to be desired. Since there are already holes cut in the console, I thought I would just make a replacement panel out of Starboard and then I could position the gauges the way I want them. I really think the contrast of black Starboard would look good against the white console but I have no experience with it. Has anyone used black Satrboard for such an application and how has it held up, has it faded? I am told Starboard works a lot like wood, what is the best method of cutting and will a router work to round over edges?

Thanks

I have not seen any fading with my black starboard dash, it's been one year since I put it in but I do keep the boat covered. Yes it's worked just like wood, you can router the edges and cut it using a circular saw or table saw. Note: If screwing into the board you must predrill it first ot it could crack. My electronics looks great with the black background.

I went through several console upgrades on my last boat, and using Starboard makes future changes very easy. If you decide you want to add or delete something in the future you just replace the Starboard panel. I've read that it expands and contracts too much with temperature for this application, but that wasn't my experience. I agree with the positive comments above.

Bill

I want to redo the dash on my console. The previous owner's setup leaves something to be desired. Since there are already holes cut in the console, I thought I would just make a replacement panel out of Starboard and then I could position the gauges the way I want them. I really think the contrast of black Starboard would look good against the white console but I have no experience with it. Has anyone used black Satrboard for such an application and how has it held up, has it faded? I am told Starboard works a lot like wood, what is the best method of cutting and will a router work to round over edges?

Thanks

Here's a look at my dash w/black starboard. There is a 2" setback to give a shadow box effect.

post-2459-1244320406_thumb.jpg

I went through several console upgrades on my last boat, and using Starboard makes future changes very easy. If you decide you want to add or delete something in the future you just replace the Starboard panel. I've read that it expands and contracts too much with temperature for this application, but that wasn't my experience. I agree with the positive comments above.

Bill

I replaced my cockpit side panels and coaming with black and white Seaboard. Some pretty large pieces, some were nearly 6' long- and I have had a problem with the black ones expanding/contracting (prob from sun/heating)- snapped a couple of corners and literally bent the SS screw shanks. When it wants to move- like freezing water- it's gonna do it no matter what. The larger the piece, the more susceptible it is. Shouldn't be a problem on a dash application. I also try to leave the countersunk screw heads just a tad loose in the hole, rather than really torquing it down.

Thanks

I have used black ABS on a lot of instrument panels and have had no problems..comes in lots of dimensions , thicknesses and very inexpensive..very easy to work with..also has a nice patern on one side

I did this in 1999 in gray w/black gauges...(have replaced the depthfinder since this picture was taken)...yes a router is exactly what's best for edging Starboard...it WILL expand w/heat, but as mentioned above, not in a dash-sized application...

dash.jpg

At the time I did this, I could not find 1/4", so this is 1/2"...hasn't presented any problems, but would use 1/4" in a do-over...this edging is w/a 1/4" roundover bit at the router table

TIP: on hole-saws, don't run it too fast as it will melt the material...take it slow and let the teeth do their work...once you've worked w/this stuff some, you'll love it...and once you realize how nearly bulletproof it is, you'll REALLY love it... :605_thumbs_up:

Thanks folks I appreciate the input. On another post (posted after this one) I indicated that since I am redoing the console, I am considering adding some gauges. Still mulling it over but am looking forward to the project once I decide on what gauges to add.

Thanks folks I appreciate the input. On another post (posted after this one) I indicated that since I am redoing the console, I am considering adding some gauges. Still mulling it over but am looking forward to the project once I decide on what gauges to add.

I've had expansion issues with the Black Starboard but only with thinner pieces (1/4") Use 3/8 or 1/2" and you will be fine