Welcome to the Reel Boating Forum.
From Trailer Boaters to Captains to Marine Industry Professionals, the Reel Boating Forum welcomes you to join in with other boaters and fishermen discussing topics including sportfishing, marine electronics, boating safety, boat engines and more.
Use our FREE boat classifieds to sell your boat or fishing gear.
Marine Industry Vendors are also welcome to register a username and freely post their products or services

Morehead first week of July

Okay trip is set now, going to spend a couple days in Morehead. Taking the boat and planning on one day offshore weather permitting.

Whats the scoop? I got some basics earlier, but I'd like to get some more info if anyone has it.

Mahi 10-20 miles out, is that right?

any wrecks or towers to find AJ and or Cobia on that I should check out?

Also, any good sources for an inshore and offshore chart for that area?

Okay trip is set now, going to spend a couple days in Morehead. Taking the boat and planning on one day offshore weather permitting.

Whats the scoop? I got some basics earlier, but I'd like to get some more info if anyone has it.

Mahi 10-20 miles out, is that right?

any wrecks or towers to find AJ and or Cobia on that I should check out?

Also, any good sources for an inshore and offshore chart for that area?

That should be about right for Mahi, kings, sailfish etc. There are some great wrecks offshore and some nice reefs and ledges. Maps Unique makes a good offshore map and I have one that I really like that is laminated that has a lot of inshore stuff on it. I also have a spreadsheet with a lot of well known numbers on it if you are interested, PM me and I can email it to you.

Good Luck!!

There are LOTS of wrecks around Morehead....I don't bottom fish much, but I've seen AJ on the Aeolus and the Schurz (to the SE) The Caribsea (on the shoals) also has some decent populations of bottom fish. and there are lots of others.

For trolling, (Mahi, Wahoo) the 14 buoy around the end of the shoals was pretty productive last weekend for Mahi, and some of the other well known hot spots are around the Big Rock and Swansboro Hole. There should also be lots of fish closer in by July.

As far as locations, there's a pretty good accounting of the wrecks on here, most of them with pretty good GPS numbers: http://www.nc-wreckdiving.com/

Huge pods of pogies coming thru inlet at high tide. Clear the inlet, more huge pods of pogies just off the beach. 2 throws with net, 30 gallon livewell was full.

R8 buoy, 81/2 miles out, holding good size amberjack. Live pogies on a king rig is the ticket. Awesome top water hits. 4 or 5 will be boiling the water after it.

NW Places is another 6 miles out from R8. Caught one mahi there last week. From there, another 4 - 5 miles to the little 10/big 10 area (1 more mahi in boat, lost 2 at boat) was producing and then to the 14 buoy.

Lots of area you can fish without having to make some of the longer runs.

I wish I had stayed at a few of the mentioned places longer and I think I could of done better.

Cobia are hot inside the inlet, along the beach and up at bardens inlet @ cape lookout. Saw one nice cobia caught in the turning basin, at the entrance to Morehead Waterfront. They were in a 14 foot boston whaler.

Be sure to post a report with pictures.......

There are still some around, but not enough to target them. In my experience, I may be wrong. I think they move more offshore as we see them when bottom fishing. But while king fishing there are still some caught in July. I may be hanging around inshore that week, monitoring 16 and 68.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm gettin stoked for this trip.

:605_thumbs_up:

Wondering if anyone knows if cobia are still being caught at all inside the inlet, if I were to set up a chumslick?

Also, looking for some suggestions on family friendly cruising. I'm thinking up around shackleford on the inside, depths look okay but I don't see much of a channel? Not interested in running my boat aground.....

:504_shrugging: